Philodendron ID

Get that mystery plant identified!
Forum rules
Please post one plant per topic. IAS members can upload photos. Non members may post in this forum, but will need to link to a photo hosted elsewhere.

Philodendron ID

Postby gottabeme22002 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Might anyone have a guess on this Philodendron? It has never bloomed for me. The leaves stay this same basic shape and never get larger than 8 or 9 inches in length, even growing several feet up a pole.

IMG-20110809-00226.jpg
IMG-20110809-00226.jpg (25.85 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
"My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view." - H. Fred Dale
gottabeme22002
Leslie A. Rule

Re: Philodendron ID

Postby jasondsarine » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Hmm, im not exactly sure as I am a only a novice with philos. I love the leaf shape though. Im sure some of the philo nuts will chime in. Leland do you have a guess?
Jason Sarine
jasondsarine
IAS Moderator
Jason Sarine

Postby Leland » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:37 pm

Dear Jason and Leslie,
Aloha.
Even so called Philodendron experts have trouble with identifications. Philodendron is a very large genus. I chose to study Philodendron subgenus Meconostigma, because it is a small group. Unfortunately, I cannot identify Leslie's plant from just the vegetative, sterile, photo. Some of these types of Philodendron change morphology over time and with higher light levels. The other issue is that many more hybrids are showing up.

Leslie, have you shown this photo to Russ? He may know and grow this plant.

Aloha,

Leland
Leland
Valued IAS Member
Leland Miyano

Postby gottabeme22002 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:50 am

Russ does have this plant. He doesn't know what it is either.
"My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view." - H. Fred Dale
gottabeme22002
Leslie A. Rule

Postby mickpascall » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:08 am

Looked in many books and online albums ... this is a similar sp. or same .
Img_0012.jpg

The lovely sp. 69whatever is still nameless ....
mickpascall
Valued IAS Member
Michael Pascall

Postby gottabeme22002 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:50 am

That looks a lot like a mature P. camposportoanum in your photo. Maybe not, but that is very similar.
gottabeme22002
Leslie A. Rule

Postby mickpascall » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Great, thanks . The 'ears' are more horizontal on the pic I posted .
Yours are at 45 degrees ... must get a few cuttings from that plant next time I visit grower .
Getting more trees to plant up now .
mickpascall
Valued IAS Member
Michael Pascall

Postby gottabeme22002 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:40 pm

I have gotten more mature leaves from this plant as it has grown up (literally..clinging to a big Anthurium clavigerum). Leland has helped ID this plant as Philodendron 'Ecuador'.

Thanks!
gottabeme22002
Leslie A. Rule

Postby dscherberich » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Hello Leslie,

I think this is Philodendron bipennifolium. It has not yet completely developped the typical side-lobes but you can guess their presence. It can certainly grow and climb without producing the more lobed leaves for years. And I agree with you Michael's picture probably show P. camposportoanum.

With best regards,

David
dscherberich
Valued IAS Member
David Scherberich

Postby gottabeme22002 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:12 pm

There are striking similarities between the most recent leaf and P. bipennifolium. I will let it keep going upwards.

Thank you!!
gottabeme22002
Leslie A. Rule

Next

Return to ID Center