IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Philodendron and Anthurium queries
From: Jonathan Ertelt <jonathan.ertelt at vanderbilt.edu> on 2004.07.15 at 15:27:40(11760)
Greetings. Two questions came up as a result of a recent trip through the
National Aquarium in Baltimore. I received cuttings of a small rambling
Philodendron aurantifolium with largish petiolar sheaths - but each entire
leaf is less than 2". Should I assume that I am looking at juvenille
foliage - i.e. what is Philodendron aurantifolium and how large does it get?
Also, there was a smallish rambling birdsnest -type Anthurium, leaves less
than two feet in length, 3" wide or so - reminded me of a small A. hookeri
in appearance, or perhaps A. halmoorei only with leaf blades less wide. I
didn't see the infloresence, but the infructesence is a cluster of lavender
fruits. Is this enough of a description for anyone to hazard a guess as to
who this might be?

Any help appreciated.

Jonathan

+More
From: "Ron Gagliardo" <rgagliardo at atlantabotanicalgarden.org> on 2004.07.16 at 13:55:41(11764)
hi Jonathan,
Both of those plants you mentioned on the list were from ABG I believe. I need to check but think that the P. aurantifolium was collected by Dick Mansell I believe and the id confirmed by Tom on a previous visit. It gets no larger than you saw it there, at least for us after many years of growth.
On the Anthurium.... did it look like a Tissue culture plug? If so, it's likely from Agristarts IV, something they are calling hookeri (I think) "marie." If not, it may be something else from our collection here, as we have given them tons of material in the recent past. Hope that helps.

Best,
Ron

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.