IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Amydrium or Rhaphidophora
From: "Harry Witmore" <harrywitmore at witmore.net> on 2007.07.09 at 18:00:54(15965)
I believe I got this plant from Brian Williams years ago but I have never
put a tag on it. I thought it was an Amydrium but now I believe it could be
a Rhaphidophora species. It has never flowered for me. Is anyone familiar
with this plant. Brian?

http://www.cloudjungle.com/CloudJungle/Araceae/Unknown/AroidNoid.jpg

Harry Witmore

+More
From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2007.07.11 at 17:38:50(15968)
It looks like my Raphidophora decursiva, but that's only one lurker's opinion.

Sheldon Hatheway

+More
From: "Peter Boyce" <botanist at malesiana.com> on 2007.07.11 at 22:20:44(15969)
Harry,

This is Rhaphidophora decursiva a trans-Himalaynan species from Nepal
eastwards through Bangladesh, N. Myanmar, N. Thailand, N. Lao PDR, N
Vietnam and into SW China. It can get very large (60 + m) tall and is
distinctive for having shoots with the foliage leaves only every 4 - 7 nodes
and the intervening nodes with a barct-like leaf (cataphyll).

Cheers

Peter

+More
From: "Harry Witmore" <harrywitmore at witmore.net> on 2007.07.11 at 22:49:14(15970)
Thanks Peter, that sounds like this plant for sure.

Harry Witmore

+More
From: Helmut Reisenberger <gartenbaureisenberger at web.de> on 2007.07.16 at 11:33:50(15982)
Hi Peter,
Can You tell me the difference between Raphidophora decursiva and Epipremnum pinnatum.
I have somme huge plants of this type in my greenhouse and the leaves are up to 6 ft (2 meters) long.
My original plant is a huge climber - I think the only really big one in Europe - in the HBV (Vienna Botanical Garden).
To my knowledge it always was presented there as Epipremnum pinnatum.
In the history of the identification of E. pinnatum You find a lot of taxinom. changes.
Can You, Peter, as the expert, bring clearness ?
rgds. Helmut

+More
From: "Peter Boyce" <botanist at malesiana.com> on 2007.07.17 at 08:14:09(15985)
Hi Helmut,

The differences (leaving aside the generic ovary/ovule & fruit/seed
differences) are:

Epipremnum pinnatum
Foliage leaves at more-or less one at each node.
Leaves with pin-holes along the mid-rib.
Shoot apex with matted fibrous material
Stems with irregular longitudinal crests.

Rhaphidophora decursiva
Foliage leaves scattered and interspersed bu up to 7 nodes bearing only a
cataphyll.
Leaves without pin-holes along the mid-rib.
Shoot apex without fibrous material.
Stems without irregular longitudinal crests.

Very best regards

Peter

+More
From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <crogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2007.07.20 at 15:25:45(15988)
Hiya Peter,

Do these differences hold just between these two species, or are they good
differences between the two genera?

Happy days,
Christopher

+More
From: Helmut Reisenberger <gartenbaureisenberger at web.de> on 2007.07.25 at 09:44:49(15999)
> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: Discussion of aroids
> Gesendet: 21.07.07 22:01:20
> An: "Discussion of aroids"
> Betreff: Re: [Aroid-l] Amydrium or Rhaphidophora

Hallo Christopher Rogers,
ThankŽs for your contribution to the theme. I also want to thank Peter for his helpful advice.
To all the aroiders IŽd like to start a further discussion about distinguishing beetween Monstera/Epipremnum/Pothos/
Raphidophorum/Amydrium and other very similar genera, so far that the origin of the single species is not known.
I have, gathered, from different collections in Europe, a wide variety of lookalikes and would appreciate any help in identification. The Aroid Identification Center of course is a valuable help, but sometimes I get no results (eg. my Id request of an Anthurium, where even TomŽs identification is still not satisfactory) or at least not to helpful.

Regarding Monstera, Raphidophorum & Co, can anybody recommend any helpful literatur (additional to the renowned books
of Bogner, Mayo, Boyce; Deni Bown; Tom Croat or widespread articles in Aoideana)?
Can anybody name a specialized expert on these genera?
I can take picts of my "aliens" and would like to put them in the net, while I do the same in Aroid-ID.

Best regards
Helmut

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.