IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [aroid-l] A. konjac questions
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv at nbnet.nb.ca> on 2004.06.24 at 19:48:29(11680)
Charles:

I am anxiously watching a blooming sized Konjac tuber that has been potted up since just before the weather here in Eastern Maritime Canada warms up enough to set it outside. So far ... nothing.

This is the same Konjac that has caused my spouse (the phrase "separate reality" was bandied around) and friends great consternation by blooming winter, fall and early spring whenever it felt like it. I have stored it dry, I have stored it cool in my veggie crisper and I have over wintered it in pots (*bad* idea if you do _not_ want growth). The thing has, in my experience, a mind of its own and will start into growth, or bloom, when it feels like it. The only thing I can do then is pot it up and watch.

I am hoping that this year It will bloom again, but outside on my deck. It has been over two months and nary a sign of a root. It has been known to sit in such conditions for several months before starting up. I wonder if, under natural conditions, it comes from a climate that will permit blooming at almost any time.

I sincerely wish you well with yours.

Rand

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.