IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

RE: [Aroid-l] P. stenolobum/Steve Lucas.
From: a san juan kalim1998 at yahoo.com> on 2006.07.11 at 05:55:18(14415)
Here are the Philodendron williamsii pics:http://www.blueboard.com/pahatan/gambar/p_williamsii_1.htmSome text on it:http://www.blueboard.com/pahatan/pelukisan/p_williamsii.htmJulius Boos wrote: ----- Original Message -----From: Steve Lucas Exotic RainforestTo: aroid-l-request@gizmoworks.comSent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:45 AMSubject: Philodendron stenolobumDear Steve (Lucas),I hope this info will tell you 'everything (or at least most of) what you need to know about P. stenolobum, and now have asked'!Please allow me to act once again as THE 'shill' for the IAS. All of our active members would have received
a copy of Aroideana vol. 25 0f 2002, where my friend Dr. Eduardo Goncalves and Emerson Salviani, both of Brazil, have published a MAGNIFICENT work on all the species of 'tree' or self-heading Philodendron species, illustrated ( ! ) with both wonderful photos AND Eduardo`s expertly self-rendered line drawings, AND a key to all species!!! Pg. 2--"New Species and Changing Concepts of Philodendron subgenus Meconostigma. (Araceae).Just for your information, and till you can join the IAS and hopefully purchase a back-issue of this invaluable Aroideana ( ALL back issues are priceless!), what has been described as a new species from S. W. Brazil, namely P. stenolobum, USED to be called P. williamsii in the hobby. To add to our 'fun', the TRUE P. williamsii DOES (or did) exist in the N. E. Atlantic forest, some remanents of which still survive surrounded by cow pastures. To add to our "luck', just last year our mentor Dr.
Thomas Croat very kindly distributed just a couple of plants of TRUE P. williamsii that were expertly grown at MOBOT from wild-collected seed sent to him from Brazil! Somewhere in my files I have photos taken of one of these juv. plants kindly taken by my good friend Barry Scwartz, maybe Barry will bring photos of this plant as it grows to an aduly to the Sept. show in Miami?? True P. williamsii is not as striking a plant as the 'desirable' form of true P. stenolobum, the one w/ wavy leaf margins that can be up to 90 cm long by 40 cm wide, P. williamsii has shorter, broader leaves.To see some of THE best examples of these rare plants, come to Sept`s show in Miami, Ron Weeks usually shows many of THE best speciemens of MANY Philos and other Aroids that I have seen.I hope the above both provides the information that you were looking for, and may encourage both yourself AND others to FINALLY put up the $25.00 to
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.