IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Dracontium prancei question
From: plantguy at zoominternet.net (Daniel Devor) on 2007.11.24 at 23:40:07(16720)
Hi All,

I have a simple question about Dracontium prancei and that is whether it only flowers after a dormancy? I got one of these beauties 3 years ago from a reliable Aussie source (he can volunteer his name if he wishes) and it bloomed the first year I had it before growing a petiole several months later. Since then it has been evergreen and has actually proven to be a fantastic member of the genus even for a northern gardener growing it indoors for the winter (something that can not be said for many other species I am afraid to say). It has only ever had a single petiole at one time, with the old petiole dyeing away after the new one gets completely developed (if you count that as 2 petioles then so be it, but I personally do not). A new petiole is now developing and it looks like it will be nicely taller than the old one which was approximately 1.5 m tall (~4.5 feet). When I repotted the plant while in growth a year ago the tuber was approximately 7-8 cm in diameter. It has never produced any offsets and t
hat is OK by me as long as momma continues to do well.

I have no intention of allowing this plant to go dormant, but am curious if this is the only way to get another influorescence?? Since getting them out of dormancy is the tough part for me and the petiole/leaf is more inspired than the influorescence I ask more out of curiosity rather than this being something I will put into practice.

Thanks,

Dan

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.