IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Chaos in Monstera names
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.06.28 at 15:12:25(17996)
> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:52:43 -0500
> From: Thomas.Croat at mobot.org
> To: aroid-l at gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Chaos in Monstera names

Dear Tom and Friends,

I do think that "Monstera" pertusa is a species of Rahpidophora.
I recently ran into what I THINK may be this plant being used as an interior decorative planting in the large office of a landscape architect, and it initally ''threw me for a loop'', and I told the guy it was a small example of Monstera deliciosa. I then took a closer look, and I don`t believe that it was Monstera deliciosa. I think what it was is this Raphidophora sp. It could easily be mistaken for a Monstera species close to M. deliciosa.
Remember on this list, a while ago, it was mentioned that M. deliciosa actually existed in the wilds of coastal Mexico in two or more ''forms'', the giant one (of which all plants now in cultivation was from) was from just a few collections, and that in the wild a smaller, much commoner but recognisable form of this same species was the common plant one encountered?? I wonder if someone could confirm this story.
The Best,

Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.