IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Tom Croat Conferance at The Nancy Bot Gard,France
From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2008.09.01 at 17:21:03(18452)
Dear Genevieve,

Aloha and bonjour.

I have not met Dr. Croat in person. However, I grow many plants associated with his collections and his publications are treasured references in my l ibrary.

I have also never visited the great botanic gardens in Europe, but from wha t I have learned;there are wonderful collections of Araceae. Congratulatio ns on assembling such fully documented collections...it is so important for the future.

Most of my experience with Araceae in habitat was in Brazil. At the time, good information was difficult to obtain. I worked with Brazilian botanist s to collect for various ex-situ collections in Brazil. Among these were t he Augusto Ruschi Museum in Santa Teresa, Rio Botanical Gardens, and Robert o Burle-Marx's collection which he donated to the Brazilian government. We collected from areas actively being destroyed. I have a good understanding of in-situ preservation, but also the necessity of well-documented ex-situ collections.

I am glad that you had a successful conference with Dr. Croat. Araceae des erve more attention on the global scene and Dr. Croat is certainly one of t he best ambassadors for the Family.

Aloha,

Leland Miyano

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.