IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Alocasia of Thailand
From: "Christopher Rogers" <CRogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2009.09.06 at 19:44:07(19948)
Howdy,

I would also add that there is probably no REAL evidence that these plants are not species. Peter may have evidence against my arguments below. (If so, I hope he tells me). First off, they may be extinct in wild, or just not yet found in the wild.

Secondly, their natural habitat may have been the same natural habitat for human habitation. For example in California, there are fairy shrimp species found nearly always where there is human habitation. However, human habitation and the seasonal wetlands the shrimp live in both occur on flat ground, above the flood areas. Also the human habitation has spread so very much, that it is nearly impossible to find flat land above the flood zones that does not have Humans.

Thirdly, these may be plants that adapted to human habitation areas naturally, due to their ability to handle certain levels of disturbance.

So, speaking as a professional taxonomist who runs into these amazing puzzles from time to time, there are often many explanations to taxonomic and evolutionary problems. Plus, I think the only real difference between a cultivar and a species is natural selection verses artificial selection.

Happy days,

Christopher

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.