IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Cyrtosperma growing media suggestions...
From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2009.10.12 at 19:02:41(20177)
I have had very variedsuccess with Nymphaeas. The books say large containers with no holes andNO animal manure; only good topsoil. Then you have to keep giving fertilizer(the Nymphaea fertilizer is EXPENSIVE) or the plants start decreasing in size.

But I observed that ayellow nymphaea which had grown over the edge of the pot, had sent roots spreadingin all directions in the gunk on the concrete floor of the pond (largely fish excrement). And the lily went wild! Huge leaves and flowers.

So I started puttingnymphaeas in fairly wide, but very shallow plastic containers, reasoning thatthe roots like the aeration on the surface of the soil medium. I use cat littertrays or shallow “wash pans” (pre-washing machine). Inthe bottom I put 4 inches of well-rotted pig manure, topped by 4 inches ofloam. I plant the nymphaea in the centre and cover the loam withsand. Then I gently submerge the container in the 18 inch deep pond, but notkeeping the crown 6 to 8 inches below the water surface, as the books tell youto do.

I consistently getgood results that last for many, many months without adding more pig manure.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.