IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Anthurium elegans taxonomy (Tom Croat)
From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2012.01.25 at 17:21:21(22532)
You have to understand, too, that taxonomy will always be in flux. If a taxonomist analyses a genus, and concludes that it is all correct just as it stands, then he will have nothing to publish. So of course he will make changes. That is why it is called "doing a revision" -- we can take for granted that changes will be made, since every taxonomist has a somewhat different species concept than everyone else. I doubt if anyone is purely a "lumper" or a "splitter;" rather, everyone has different ideas as to the relative importance of any given variable trait.

One of the strangest revisions I saw recently: I was looking at a list of flora of the Dominican Republic, and I saw that both Antirrhinum (snapdragons) and Linaria (toadflax) were listed under Plantaginaceae, not the Scrophulariaceae where I have been
accustomed to seeing them.

Jason Hernandez

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.