IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Amorphophallus paeoniifolius
From: "Paul Kruse" pkruse2000 at mindspring.com> on 2000.04.02 at 19:19:14(4324)
As a final remark in the continuing saga of A. paeoniifolius, I would like
to add that last year mine put up three leaves at once. When it tried it
this year I only left one on. The main leaf grew as the one did last year.

From: "Joan F. Wall" jfwall at mindspring.com> on 2000.07.13 at 00:52:38(5072)
There is a beautiful photograph of A. paeoniifolius
on page 551 of the July issue of The Garden, the
RHS monthly magazine. I am so glad to at least get
to see the plant you all have been talking about for
so long.

+More
From: plantnut at macconnect.com (plantnut) on 2000.07.13 at 02:03:48(5075)
Joan,
Go to the IAS Web Site... www.aroid.org.... go to 'Gallery' and look for
my name... click and enjoy some photos..
Dewey

+More
From: "Joan F. Wall" jfwall at mindspring.com> on 2000.07.13 at 23:32:34(5092)
Thanks Dewey. That site has changed so much I hardly recognized
it!!! I loved your photos and will return to visit more often
in the future.

+More
From: "FTG Conservatory, Craig Allen" conserv at netrox.net> on 2000.07.17 at 22:14:46(5147)
This is the tuber that Fairchild sent over to England in February for the
Chelsea Flower Show. It bloomed just in time for the Fairchild - Newington
Chelsea exhibit. It opened 2 days before the show, lasted all week and
collapsed the day after the show was over. Prince Charles was very
interested.

+More
From: Mark Pajak <markpajak at hotmail.com> on 2009.07.05 at 21:08:06(19484)
I recently received an apple sized corm of Amorphophallus paeoniifolius through the post however it had begun to unfurl already and the shoots rotted off after planting. The bulb is growing roots but I am not sure what it is planning on doing now - will it bother to do another shoot this season? I have scraped all the rotten tussue away and have left the bulb planted, but I keep uprooting it to check for shoots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am becoming extrordinarily fascinated for these plants - my growing blog is here

HTML

+More

From: "Harry Witmore" <harrywitmore at witmore.net> on 2009.08.19 at 21:05:26(19755)
If anyone has one of these for trade or sell please contact me off list. Thanks

Harry Witmore

HTML

+More

From: greg seed <greggypoos at hotmail.com> on 2009.11.23 at 13:28:15(20357)
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to grow A. paeoniifolius that I have bought from asian spermarkets, but am having no luck stopping them from rotting. I have tried keeping them in dry compost and out of soil in a cupboard at room temperature, but the same thing happens. Cutting away the affected parts and treating with sulphur powder doesn't help. Should I try to keep them warmer, or will that make it worse? I live in southern England where it tends to be humid - could this be a problem? I have had no problems with the other species I grow, so am a bit baffled.
I would really appreciate some help as I am desperate to grow this species!

Thanks, Greg.

HTML

+More

From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2009.11.25 at 03:00:25(20366)
There is a chance albeit small but still a chance that they are sprayed with a growth inhibitor.

I refuse to participate in the in the recession.

--- On Mon, 11/23/09, greg seed wrote:

HTML

+More

From: bonaventure at optonline.net on 2009.11.26 at 02:09:11(20368)
Greg,

try to find one with an undamaged growing point. If they had been too dried out they may never recover also. Although many species tubers remain seemingly bone-dry in their native habitat during dormancy, one finds if left in soil there is a lot of humidity and moisture about the tuber.

Bonaventure Magrys

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.