IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Brazil
From: Lester Kallus lkallus at earthlink.net> on 2001.03.23 at 04:21:42(6063)
I'll be going to Fortaleza, Brazil for a few days in May. During that
conference, I'll have one day that will have a moderate amount of free
time. I will not, however, be able to travel too far from the city itself.

Is anyone here familiar with Fortaleza? Are there any botanical gardens
near there? Does anyone have advice on anything else I might want to visit?

Thanks,
Les Kallus

From: magrysbo at shu.edu on 2001.03.23 at 21:25:20(6068)
Les, A friend tells me towards the interior from Fortaleza there remains
some beautiful residual Atlantic rain forest, locally called "Brejos",
which you may be able to visit. The Caatinga is a seasonally dry area that
may have interesting Aroids. The rains may start in May-June. Look for
Cyrtopodiums!
+More
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2007.05.05 at 14:38:15(15633)
Reply-To : Discussion of aroids
Sent : Friday, May 4, 2007 9:20 AM
To : aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
+More
From: a san juan <kalim1998 at yahoo.com> on 2007.05.07 at 03:14:09(15649)
I got one from brian williams labeled "P. adamantinum" and it looks like it is growing as such. It definitely is not a P. bipinnatifidum at least.Julius Boos wrote: >From : Julius Boos Reply-To : Discussion of aroids Sent : Friday, May 4, 2007 9:20 AMTo : aroid-l@gizmoworks.comSubject : [Aroid-l] FW: Philo. sps. seeds, S. Amer. Co.Dear Friends,Bear with me, I believe that we/I am pretty close to either solving OR giving up on this facet of my search for accuracy in this matter. I have not received any replies from anyone with whom Vic Soukup shared seeds, I can only HOPE that a few of you will step forward with information.I have made some notes on how anyone can I.D. a plant of any Meconostigma sp. mentioned by
Vic (below), this may help those of us who may STILL have plants mislabeled and grown from seed sent from this Company. I could not do a comparison chart as I had planned, my old comp. (or my dumb brain) would not let it be.Google these species, there are GREAT photos out there, Arlan San Juan and David Scherberich`s sites come to mind.SO---here goes--Philo. bipinnatifidium.This seems to be the species that MOST of the seeds from Brazil, labeled as other species, grew up to be, so I will start here. It is a HUGE species, but we may have been dealing with smaller, sub-adult plants.Adult leaf blade often over 30" long, many divisions that are bipinnifed/divided, secondary divisions generally at least 6 cm. long. In juvenile/sub-adult plants there are sometimes no bipinnate/secondary divisions.Distances between the bottom of the sinuses (the spaces between the divisions) and the midrib INCREASE
starting from the tip of the leaf blade, and going upwards toward the juncture with the petiole.Intravaginal squamules (the many thorn-like structures surrounding the point where the petiole joins the rhizome or 'trunk') are long (5-12 mm, 2-4mm wide at base), flattened, pointed and chessnut-red in color, easily detachable.Leaf-scars on trunk are elongated/oval, aprox: 6.5 wide X 5 cm high, colored light gray, with dark gray margins.Petioles sulcate in cross section.(Juvenile plants of this species sometimes can resemble P. saxicolum, but at this stage will have NO visible rhizome/trunk).P. adamintinum.This is a SMALL species, leaf blades in adult plants from 6 1/2"-13" long! Anterior divisions of leaf blade only sometimes have secondary divisions, very small/short, no more than just a 'scallop', under 1 cm long.Distances between the bottom of the sinuses and the midrib DECREASE as you move from the
tip upward toward the juncture of the petiole.Intravaginal squamules decidious (falling off), sometimes persistant, small, 0.1-0.2 mm.Leaf scars on rhizome/trunk are greenish-gray w/ chessnut margins, elliptic toPetiole elliptic to round in cross section.P. saxicolum.Another smaller species.Leaf blade no longer then 12"- 18" , divisions not as deep as in near/adult P. bipinnatifidium or especially P. adamintinum, never divided.As in P. bipinnatifidium, the distances between the bottom of the sinuses and the midrib INCREASE from the tip upwards toward the juncture with the petiole.P. paludicola.Leaves held errect to semi-errect.No intravaginal squamules on THICK rhizome/trunk.Leaf blade with shallow divisions.Distances between the bottom of the sinuses and the midrib increase rapidly from tip towards petiole juncture.P. eichleri ( I THINK!) may be a hybrid between P.
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.