IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Ants! Every kind,Everywhere!
From: "john s. smolowe" johnsmolowe at pacbell.net> on 2002.01.24 at 04:19:09(8058)
Krystof -

Please remember to be courteous. I believe I was painstakingly careful to mention correctly the pesticide ingredient, the absence of federal approval, and the danger around toddlers. Pyrethroids are in common use in many licensed pesticides
and are by no means the most toxic of licensed pesticides. You mention homicide. Are you sure pyrethroids have been causing deaths? I certainly agree that we should be careful about using all pesticides.

John Smolowe, M.D.

+More
From: Jonathan Ertelt jonathan.ertelt at vanderbilt.edu> on 2002.01.24 at 15:57:19(8063)
>In a message dated Wed, 23 Jan 2002 4:44:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>Piabinha@aol.com writes:
>
+More
From: "john s. smolowe" johnsmolowe at pacbell.net> on 2002.01.24 at 22:32:33(8068)
should anyone still be interested the ant chalk, given the cautions, i would offer that it works amazingly well for our common small
ants in northern california, but only if you can see the column of marching ants and can draw a chalk stripe through their march -
for example, if ants are marching up a table leg (or along an greenhouse overhead sprinkler line). if you circle that leg with a
stripe, you can watch the ants march across, lick their legs, and fall to the ground. it is not a bait, does not attract ants or other
bugs and therefore will not work on roaches or any bug that doesn't march in columns. and it works so quickly that i don't think the
ants carry it back to their nest as they do borax. no question the merits are overstated on the box and the dangers minimized (the box
says "harmless"), but it does work in its one particular niche.

john smolowe

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.