IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

TitanWatch
From: "Craig Allen" callen at fairchildgarden.org> on 2003.03.27 at 00:55:55(10065)
I thought I would give you a heads up...

'Mr. Stinky' aka Amorphophallus titanum is starting to grow after this winter's dormancy. 'Alice the Amorphophallus', another Titan, is also emerging. I don't, yet, know if they will produce an inflorescence or a leaf, but there is a good chance for a flowering. Neither bloomed last year, and the tubers have gained a lot of weight. In the past several have bloomed after skipping only one year. Could there be a double blooming? I tingle with excitement just thinking of it. It these are blooms, we will try to get an better web cam setup than we had last year. I will keep you posted.

'Mr. Stinky' tuber size 22" and 76 lbs.; emerged 3/17/03
'Alice' tuber size, 19" and 57lbs.; emerged 3/24/03

Also of interest are all the other species of Amorphophallus coming into bloom. 7 different A. tinekeae (the exotic black striped species in last years aroid show, formerly labeled as A. lambii), 2 A. variabilis, 2 A. lewallei, and of course 1 of the magnificent Amorphophallus gigas. The A. gigas is already 4 foot tall and growing over 6" each day.

Craig M. Allen

+More
From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter at worldonline.nl> on 2003.03.27 at 05:14:19(10066)
Craig,

Whereas I wouldn't have believed it 8 years ago, I have now noticed that
every now and then a species does indeed flower twice without foliage
interrupting the sequence. I have experienced this with paeoniifolius and
plicatus. This may well be an evolutionary remnant from the ancestral
condition of having a syn-florescence in the ancestors of Amorphophallus.
So, who knows......?

+More
From: "Cooper, Susan L." SLCooper at scj.com> on 2003.05.08 at 13:55:25(10214)
If anyone is planning on visiting Faircchild Garden soon, I have two gift
certificates good for a free admission. They are good until May 23. Sorry
about the short notice, I just came across them in a pile of papers....
Email me off list!

Susan L. Cooper

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.