IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Monstera albo variegata
From: Philip Crabb <treetrustee at yahoo.com> on 2004.08.01 at 21:38:45(11904)
Hi,

I'm new to aroid growing and new to the aroids group at hort.net, but not new to aroid appreciation. So far, the plants I have are basic representatives of the genera.

I've got a couple of questions about identification of the Monstera
albo subvarieties: Is there a legitimate distinction between M. albo
variegata and M. albo maculata? If so, I assume the 'maculata' form
is more speckled, spotted, and splotched rather than simply divided
into white and green color patterns.

I?ve posted four photos at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/aroids in the Photo Album entitled ?Monstera albo varieagata,? in the Photo Albums section. The first two photos are of the same larger plant, and the third and fourth photos are of two separate smaller plants. Each I assume to be ?variegata.? The plant that most resembles the one photo of the ?maculata? that I?ve seen is the larger plant. But this one photo, found side by side with a photo of ?variegata,? at http://www.raretropicalplants.com/new_rtp_site/monsterasx.html does not reveal striking differences between the two varieties. So I?m wondering if M. albo maculata, does, in fact, exist, and if so, how it differs from ?variegata.?

Thanks for any input on ID or other suggestions you may have.

Does this group allow photo attachments?

Phil Crabb
Manhattan, KS

+More
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.08.03 at 12:09:36(11912)
>From: Philip Crabb
>Reply-To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>Subject: [aroid-l] Monstera albo variegata
>Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 14:38:45 -0700 (PDT)
>
>

Dear Philip,
I am NOT 'big' on these var. clones, but from what I know there are at least two different clones/vars. of the varigated Monstera deliciosa, a large one and a var. form of the smaller clone, but this smaller clone may be a juvinile plant of the larger clone. There is a fake 'red' clone (photo shop) on a few sites. The smaller clone seems to have 'cleaner' white stripes, the larger clone can have leaves that have both types of varigation, one leaf w/ the clean white, another w/ the 'cloudy' maculations, another leaf w/ both markings. My 1976 vol. of 'Exotica' has photos showing this, and even lists a juv. plant of this Monstera as "Philodendron" pertusum, an old mistake. The large form was/is available from Albert Merkle`s nursery on Hagen Rance Rd. in Boynton Beach, Florida. I an not sure if ANY of the fancy names are correct or just made-up by the growers/sellers. Photo attachments are not allo!
wed on this list, there is a page on the aroid-l site to post for identifications.
Good Luck, I hope this helps.
Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.