IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Chubas/pronunciation
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.08.17 at 00:01:53(12002)
>From: "Bryant, Susan L."
>Reply-To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Chubas
>Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:47:32 -0500
>
>

Dear Susan, Ted and Eduardo,
Then allow me to remind you! My friend Elizabeth, in commenting on a meal that I had cooked for her plant group some time ago (curried chicken w/ Xanthosoma tubers used instead of potatoes), wrote the word 'chubas' in her note while reminiscing about how good she and her friends had thought the meal was. Someone then replied, asking Elizabeth what these 'chubas' were. I then wrote asking Elizabeth what the origin of this neat and new-to-me word might be, thinking it possibly was of Spanish origin. After a substantial pause, Elizabeth replied that SHE thought that it was I was saying 'chubas', and that SHE had thought it was some sort of exotic word!!! I then realized that when I speak I must NOT clearly pronounce the 'tu' in tubers, it comes out in my Trinidadian accent as 'chu-bas'. Ah, the joy of being a born Trinidadian!
Another funny tale comes to mind concerning the way we Trinidadians perceive sounds and then pronounce words ---In Trinidad while speaking in our street dialect/patois, we seldom/never use/pronounce the letter "r". When I began to work in Latin America and began to learn to speak Spanish, I came to the realization that not only did I have problems 'rolling' my 'r`s', I also had problems 'hearing' or perceiving them in the spoken word---remember, in Spanish, 'R`s' play a huge part in the language!!!. A few years later, without meaning to be funny, I was chatting w/ a GOOD friend while working in Amazonion Ecuador. I confided in him about my problem with 'R`s", and went on to use as an example of my problem that to me, the Spanish words 'miedo' (fear/fright) and "mierda" (human excrement) sounded almost exactly alike!!. Well!!!---Mario had to stop the truck, and laughed his!
terically for several minutes, he said it was the funniest thing he had heard anyone say in years!! Oh well, I guess I don`t mind being the butt of some jokes!
The best, see you all soon,
Julius

+More
From: "Steve Ritchey" <sritchey at shreve.net> on 2004.08.17 at 03:14:55(12005)
Julius- Once you master the Spanish word 'ferrocarril' , the rest of the language becomes a downhill slide- been there, done that, ended up with too many tequilas & too few chubas-

----- Original Message -----

+More
From: elizabeth at begoniac.com on 2004.08.17 at 18:23:20(12010)
I know what you mean. But "ferrocarril" is easy compared to "Rodriguez".

Elizabeth

+More
From: "Bryant, Susan L." <SLBryant at scj.com> on 2004.08.17 at 19:09:35(12011)
I am still working on saying Pieter van den Hoogenband in one breath.

Sorry moderators- I promise to stop now!

-----Original Message-----

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.