IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

After the Symposium
From: MossyTrail at cs.com on 2004.11.28 at 05:11:01(12440)
Greetings, Aroid-L:

I have just returned from the IXth International Aroid Symposium, hosted by Peter Boyce and Malesiana Tropicals. It was a great event; I learned a lot, and very much enjoyed the field trip.
Several of the attendees, I have known by name for years, thanks to my membership in the International Aroid Society, and Aroid-L. Now was my chance finally to put faces to those names: Peter Boyce, the host; Josef Bogner; Nguyen Van Du; Dan Nicholson; etc. Of course, others were not present, and I was disappointed not to see Eduardo Goncalves, Guanggua Zhu, and Ron Iles. Deni Brown, our lauded author, was there also. Finally, there was one I had met before: Thomas Croat.
The studies presented ran the gamut from Croat's overviews of key genera in need of revision, to genetic typing of Cryptocoryne for conservation planning purposes; from new ornamental cultivars in preparation for release, to food crops in India. Bogner gave a long talk on the structure of aroid inflorescences, not seeming to notice that several members of the audience were beginning to doze off; afterward, I asked him a question, which he answered three times over, but he seemed to think he had not done so adequately, as he turned round to speak to me directly, after having sat down.
Despite the rain and some wrong turns, the field trip to Kubah National Park was a success; I remember seeing Amorphophallus pendula, Stenospermation nicholsoni (with its namesake Dan Nicholson), Homalomena, Aglaonema, Epipremnum. Those who followed the correct trail also found Cryptocoryne.
Thanks to Peter and Malesiana for the great barbecue, and the successful symposium.

Jason Hernandez

+More
From: RAYMOMATTLA at cs.com on 2004.11.29 at 00:29:25(12442)
Jason,
Sounds like a wonderful time was had in Sarawak. Ill be looking forward to more stories and articles here and in the newsletter, plus pics if anyone has them. Just a question though...you mention seeing Stenospermation nicholsoni. I was under the impression this was a strictly Neotropical genus?
Looking forward to the next Symposium....
Michael
+More
From: "Peter Boyce" <peterboyce at myjaring.net> on 2004.11.29 at 09:33:46(12444)
Michael, Jason:

Schismatoglottis nicolsonii.

Pete

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.