IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

A couple of questions about a few Homalomenas
From: RAYMOMATTLA at cs.com on 2006.01.14 at 03:32:51(13695)
I have a few questions on some of the Homalomenas that are currently being offered at nurseries and garden centers in the US right now. Homalomena "Purple Sword"...what is the parentage? Homalomena "Selby"....is this Homalomena erythropus? Last is a newer one called by some places Homalomena "Red Velvet" or Homalomena velutina. Is this perhaps a form of Homalomena picturata? It has pink fuzzy petioles and dark green cordate matte leaves.

Here is a link for H. Selby (sorry for the quality of the image)
http://www.cloudjungle.dns2go.com/DotNetNuke/Portals/2d08a043-afde-48be-af3a-daae20f90696/Gallery/Homalomena/Homalomena%20%27Selby%27%20(Small).JPG

Here is a link for Homalomena "Red Velvet"
http://www.cloudjungle.dns2go.com/DotNetNuke/Portals/2d08a043-afde-48be-af3a-daae20f90696/Gallery/Homalomena/Homalomena%20red%20velvet%20(Small).JPG

Thanks in advance,
Michael Mattlage

+More
From: "Peter Boyce" botanist at malesiana.com> on 2006.01.14 at 07:50:31(13696)
Hi Michael

We have 'Purple Sword' in cultivation here - it's a
Schismatoglottis near to S. conoidea and probably
undescribed

The 'Red Velvet' image at Clound Jungle is
Schismatoglottis asperata

Peter

+More
From: RAYMOMATTLA at cs.com on 2006.01.15 at 01:33:52(13699)
Peter, thanks.
I was under the impression Purple Sword was a hybrid by John Banta but I could be wrong. It looks alot like Schismattoglottis concinna illustrated on Aroideana Vol. 5, No. 2, April 1982 except that the undersides of the leaves are a deep maroon.

I dont understand why we dont have more Schismattoglottis and Homalomena species avialable since their beauty rivals just about any of the common houseplants out their...especially with their wide range of markings and variegation. I know a few dealers out their sell some nice ones...especially Asiatica...but I think they need to be a little more common since they are really not that hard to grow given a little warmth and humidity.
Thanks again!
Michael

+More
From: "Peter Boyce" botanist at malesiana.com> on 2006.01.15 at 05:53:54(13700)
Hi Michael

You could well be correct about 'Purple Sword' - all I was saying was that
the plant we have, which if itself a commercial purchase - is a
Schismat.

I agree with you 100% about Schismat. and Homalomena
being a rival for most foligage plants. Anothe thing we've found is that
they are both a whole lot less twitchy than Alocasia.

The good news (well, we hope it's good news!) is that we've got several
Schismats in the lab. now and several more in the process of beng
introduced. All being well we'll be offering the first of these towards the end
of '06.

We're also in the process of introducing several
Homalomena including the extraordinary H. havilandii.

Pete

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.