IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Philo selloum ID
From: "Sherry Gates" TheTropix at msn.com> on 2006.03.29 at 18:23:44(14005)
Hi everyone, I have a large Philodendron selloum that I found hacked down on the side of the road last May. It was dark when I found it, so all I could tell immediately was that it was very big and had about a 4 1/2 ft. trunk. I brought it home and soaked it in a large wagonfull of water with Ironite, Superthrive, and a starter fertilizer (just a little weaker than they called for) for about 5 days, then we planted the stalk about 3 ft. deep. The entire plant is much larger than even the biggest P. selloums I've looked at, and I have done some serious looking! The leaves were over 50 in. long. and easily 36 in. across. The veins are larger, the flowers, the petioles...everything about this plant is much larger than others. Where the leaf meets the petiole (on top) there is a growth that starts out like a little pigtail, and grows into a strange leaf or plantlet or something. It has rooted since, but hasn't resumed growth just yet, but is
definitely alive. I am hoping that maybe y'all might have an answer about it. I'm including a picture, if you want to see more pics...just ask. I took several after it was planted and still had the huge green leaves. Since I found it, it seems like my husband & I have looked at every big selloum we've seen since. We haven't seen anything like it. It's absolutely beautiful! Thanks for letting me take up your time. :) Sherry Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com
Attachment:
+More
From: Big Herm hermine at endangeredspecies.com> on 2006.03.29 at 19:55:53(14009)
Where the leaf meets the petiole (on top) there is a growth that
starts out like a little pigtail, and grows into a strange leaf or
plantlet or something. It has rooted since, but hasn't resumed
growth just yet, but is definitely alive.
Sherry

Good Golly Miss Molly! this really is HUGE! I seek out such plants
for personal viewing pleasure all over California...there was an era
of home building and philodendron hybridizing which has yielded a
late fifties to early sixties 'selloum' which gets very big,
leathery, dark green and altogether terrific, even in the dry air of
Southern California. I believe the only huge leaves i have seen such
as yours are photographed in habitat in old editions of Exotica. but
that THING coming out where the rachis joins the leaf, that is one
odd piece of work for me, although i have seen such leaf extensions
or whatever they are called, on other very enthusiastic plants.

I am interested to hear what the Florida members have to say about
this, since some of them live in much kinder climates for landscape
philodendrons. just think, this is only a baby, still in its
terrestrial state, not having yet climbed to the top of a rainforest giant!

hermine

+More
From: "Abrimaal" abrimaal at wp.pl> on 2006.03.29 at 22:22:43(14013)
Hello,

If you want I may post your photos in the Aroid ID Center
available both from the IAS homepage and my www.araceum.prv.pl

Greetings

+More
From: "Sherry Gates" TheTropix at msn.com> on 2006.03.30 at 02:16:09(14014)
Hi Marek, You may feel free to post the picture, I am curious about the plant, too. Thank you very much, Sherry ----- Original Message ----- From: Abrimaal Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:16 PM To: Discussion of aroids Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philo selloum ID Hello, If you want I may post your photos in the Aroid ID Center available both from the IAS homepage and my www.araceum.prv.pl Greetings Marek ----- Original Message ----- From:
Sherry Gates To: Discussion of aroids Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:23 PM Subject: [Aroid-l] Philo selloum ID Hi everyone, I have a large Philodendron selloum that I found hacked down on the side of the road last May. It was dark when I found it, so all I could tell immediately was that it was very big and had about a 4 1/2 ft. trunk. I brought it home and soaked it in a large wagonfull of water with Ironite, Superthrive, and a starter fertilizer (just a little weaker than they called for) for about 5 days, then we planted the stalk about 3 ft. deep. The entire plant is much larger than even the biggest P. selloums I've looked at, and I have done some serious looking! The leaves were over 50 in. long. and easily 36 in. across. The veins are larger, the flowers, the petioles..everything about this plant is much larger than others. Where the leaf meets the petiole (on top) there is a growth that starts out like a little pigtail, and grows into a str
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.