IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Discussion of Aroids, Philodendron andreanum
From: Helmut Reisenberger <gartenbaureisenberger at web.de> on 2007.07.30 at 11:32:14(16027)
Dear All,Growing successfully a wide range of rare Philodendrons, I have problems with P. andreanum.They are very strong growers under good conditions in greenhouse culture. But each new leave gets stuck in the bud.Rhen it rips and opens up deformed (often the leafstalk breaks through the leafblade).Does anybody have an advice, how to get out of that problem?Thank You in advance And Good GrowingHelmut
From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2007.07.30 at 19:33:38(16031)
Dear Helmut,I had a similar problem with one of my red leafed philos labeled by the vendor as "Bloody Mary". A friend advised increasing the humidity quite a bit combined with regular misting of the emerging leaf, and that alleviated the problem. I can't tell you how much the humidity changed because I don't have a hygrometer (or whatever they are called). Good growing.Sheldon HathewayCanby, OR, USAZone 7b (more or less)----- Original Message ----From: Helmut Reisenberger To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.comSent: Monday, July 30, 2007 4:32:14
AMSubject: [Aroid-l] Discussion of Aroids, Philodendron andreanumDear All,Growing successfully a wide range of rare Philodendrons, I have problems with P. andreanum.They are very strong growers under good conditions in greenhouse culture. But each new leave gets stuck in the bud.Rhen it rips and opens up deformed (often the leafstalk breaks through the leafblade).Does anybody have an advice, how to get out of that problem?Thank You in advance And Good GrowingHelmut
Got a little couch potato?
+More
From: "Sherry Gates" <TheTropix at msn.com> on 2007.07.30 at 20:20:44(16033)
Hi y'all,
I have had that same thing happen. I had the same
thing happen a couple of times and like Sheldon said, increasing
water took care of the problem. I suppose super-saturation gave
the cells in the new leaf the extra push they needed. ( ?
)

Dear All,
Growing successfully a wide range of rare Philodendrons, I have problems
with P. andreanum. They are very strong growers under good conditions in
greenhouse culture. But each new leave gets stuck in the bud. Then it
rips and opens up deformed (often the leafstalk breaks through the leafblade).
Does anybody have an advice, how to get out of that problem? Thank You
in advance And Good
Growing

+More
From: Bluesea <chammer at cfl.rr.com> on 2007.07.31 at 06:15:01(16042)
Speaking of P. 'Bloody Mary', it appears to
me to be the old hybrid 'Royal Queen'. I suppose someone has
distributed the plant around since they didn't have the true ID, which
is unfortunate since there's enough bogus names out there already.
Does anyone know where the 'Bloody Mary' name originated?
Russ
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.