IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

A little orchid mystery that is truly an aroid mystery!
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.08.22 at 07:20:32(16132)
I'd like to ask for the help of all you Anthurium growers out there.

On the UBC plant discussion group there is a Canadian grower living in Ecuador who has acquired quite a large number of exotic species since moving to South America. He's fairly knowledgeable about orchids, but less so about aroids. He recently put up a request for information that sent several of us on a wild chase. He thought he had an orchid that was producing an inflorescence similar to that of an Anthurium. The problem was, he didn't realize there was both a small Anthurium and an orchid in the pot!

I was from the beginning dubious of the fact this might be an orchid but was oblivious to the obvious fact there was an Anthurium spathe hanging pendantly and a spadix filled with seed berries staring me in the face! It was quite malformed. But Steve Marak took a look and, after a bit of discussion, figured out what all the rest of us were missing.

But we still don't have any idea what kind of Anthurium is in that pot!! Would you take a look at the link and tell us if you have any idea what species this might be? You're welcome to simply post your own conclussions on the UBC site, or post them here and I'll gladly post them over there with your name (if you wish). This started out to be one good "orchid" mystery and if you read the link you'll understand why.

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t)839&highlight=orchid

Hopefully, we can turn this fellow into an aroider! One other reader has already signed up on Aroid l as a result.

Thanks!

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.