IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Philodendron spathe
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.08.27 at 22:35:24(16167)

Russ Hammer received this request from David Janas at the New York Botanical Garden. He sent it to me and I contacted David. David is trying to help a garden visitor but so far, we're stumped! Here's the message and the photo. Do any of you recognize this beautiful spathe?

" A visitor to the NYBG conservatory showed me a photo of a flower they saw in Hawaii - it was clearly a Philodendron of some kind but P. insigne was all I could think of to say, but it had a bright red spathe inside and out, with a pure white spadix that was well enclosed except for the very upper portion. The whole infloresence had a very narrow appearance. The leaves are not very clear in the photo but appear to be in a fairly dense rosette and have rather ruffled and wavy edges. The visitor was satisfied with Philodendron, but now I am curious and I can't seem to find a good source to help me identify it."

If anyone knows this beautiful plant please let us all know and I'll send Dave the link.

Steve Lucas

+More
From: rhweeks at attglobal.net (Ron Weeks) on 2007.08.28 at 03:39:33(16169)

Steve,
It looks like a photo of a painting not a live plant. Attached are photos
of two large meconostigmas. Philodendron eichleri is said to be a hybrid.
The inflorescence is not quite as red as your photo. The unidentified
philodendron from Brazil would be my first pick. It has the darkest red
inflorescence of any meconostigmas I have seen and blooms form in recently
emerged leaves. The spathe opening and curve to the spadix will vary
throughout the two days they are open.

...Ron Weeks

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.08.28 at 12:28:31(16172)
Thanks Ron. I'll forward your information to David.

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.