IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Xanthosoma names .
From: mickpascall at hotmail.com (Michael Pascall) on 2008.02.12 at 04:06:36(17064)
I have found a list of names compiled by the University of Melbourne in Victoria , Australia .

http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Xanthosoma.html

They have used information from GRIN/NPGS , buit the lists differ slightly .

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxdump.pl?Xanthosoma

One species I am interested in , as I am growing it .. is what has been known as
Xanthosoma jacquinii 'lineatum' , it is missing from the GRIN database and is supposed to be a syn. for X.undipes and X.sagittifolium on the other database .
Also in cultivation in Australia is X.blandum , I found the name in the great book ;
'The Tropical Plants of R.Burle Marx' it is listed as a synonym of X.poeppigii .

Any one disagree with these lists ?

Michael Pascall,>

+More
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.02.12 at 10:42:06(17065)
> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:06:36 +1000
> Subject: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma names .
>

Dear Michael,

I took a QUICK look at the first page, and there are MANY errors concerning many of the names listed, so as far as I can see this page is pretty useless.
In many conversations I have had w/ Dr. Eduardo Goncalves of Brazil, the state of the Taxonomy of the edible species of Xanthosoma (and Colocasia) is in such a mess that he had plans for a complete revision of these groups.
As an example, in S. Florida everyone had always refered to the large plants which produce the white-fleshed,''slippery-when-cooked'' corms/rhizomes so popular with the Cubans (and us Trinidadians!) as X. sagittifolium. I showed Eduardo a plant of this which at the time was growing near to the cafe at Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Miami, he immediately changed his walks direction, and after examining the plant, told us it was NOT X. sagittifolia (as everyone had previously thought), but without a doubt it was in fact X. robustum.
The list of my disagreements with the names on the list is way too long for me to go into here, I suggest that you ''keep your powder dry'', and enjoy your plants till the day comes when someone, hopefully Dr. Goncalves, can get to a revision!

Good Growing,

Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.