IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

titanum pollen fertility question
From: bonaventure at optonline.net (bonaventure at optonline.net) on 2008.06.04 at 16:23:27(17732)
Would titanum pollen (thanks Fevzi) stored dry in a paper envelope in a kitchen refrigerator be viable after 2 months? I just dropped it into the spathe of my first outdoor blooming konjac.

Bonaventure Magrys

+More
From: bill.weaver at hp.com (Weaver, Bill) on 2008.06.04 at 21:32:28(17736)
I would think there could be a problem if it is a standard 'frost free' freezer. These units stay
'frost free' by actually turning on an internal heater to melt off the frost and then re-freezing
everything again. A possible way around this would be to put the pollen between two blocks of
'blue ice' so that the pollen itself is never allowed to defrost.

Bill

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.06.04 at 21:39:37(17738)
Bonaventure, you might want to read what Julius has to say about this here:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Natural%20and%20artificial%20pollination%20in%20aroids.html

Steve Lucas

+More
From: bonaventure at optonline.net (bonaventure at optonline.net) on 2008.06.06 at 18:52:21(17771)
Thanks Steve,

I was afraid to freeze it having no cryoprotectant, eg. glycerin, and it being titanum pollen and all. But it was dry, double wrapped in paper and in an envelope, let come up to room temperature slowly, and used that day. The konjac recipient was just starting to unfurl, so no chance of the female flowers being past receptivity or males shedding their own pollen afterwards. As a matter of fact, it only became odiferous the next day. There was almost half a teaspoonful of titanum pollen (thanks again Fevzi!) and this went "down the tube" all around the spadix as far down as I could pour it. This was followed by vigorous shaking and tapping of the base of the spathe for about a minute (oh God, I hope the neighbors weren't watching!). I hope that gravity and the flies have done the rest.

I do believe that konjac is not big enough ;-) , and the introduction of titanum genes will greatly improve its size, introduce hybrid vigor (as if it needs that) and a percentage of seedlings will survive our zone 7 gardens here. On the other hand, one may get a more vigorous and rot resistant hardier titanum like Amorphophallus.

Bonaventure

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.06.07 at 04:09:06(17777)
I'm certainly not an expert, but I'm doing all I can to master this with the help of a bunch of great people. Sounds to me like you did it right. Obviously, some time will tell.

Steve

+More
From: crogers at ecoanalysts.com (Christopher Rogers) on 2008.06.08 at 02:46:52(17799)
I am really excited to see what you come up with . . .

D. Christopher Rogers

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.