IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Aroids with double spathes.
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.06.20 at 10:07:18(17870)
> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:46:40 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Anthurium with double spathe.

Dear Jorge and All,

It is my OPINION (based on information kindly given to me by others!) that these deformaties/double spathes are caused by one or several of the chemicals used in the tissue culture process. A few deformed Anthurium spathes MIGHT be caused by genitics, or a trait being bred into a specific strain of Anthurium, but this would be a rarity.
This topic has been discussed before on aroid-l, and many examples given both by description and also by photos which were submitted. The genera involved were mainly within Spathiphyllum, Anthurium, and Zantedschia, all of which are produced commercially by the millions of plants by tissue culture.
Look for a paper in the next issue of Aroideana where I give a few of the ''tricks of the trade''/chemicals used on the tiny plantlets for the Companies to achieve the certain size and ''look'' on their plants they hope will attract buyers, and to sell by the millions. The effects of these chemicals persist for YEARS on these plants. The plant in question in my article is Philodendron xanadu, which commonly exibits deformed/double spathes and double leaves.

Good Growing,

Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.