IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Origins of Philodendron x evansii
From: kalim1998 at yahoo.com (a san juan) on 2008.07.03 at 14:43:33(18061)
?Hi all,

I am reorganizing the meconostigma site so it has more articles (in english similar to the leafcutter ant site i maintain, because my malay is not deep enough to write very well in that language), and am hoping to put together a post in the meconostigma site about the origins of P. x evansii.

Here's pics of that plant:
http://www.blueboard.com/pahatan/gambar/p_x_evansii_1.htm

Here is what I know, please correct me if i am wrong...
?
This hybrid is from P. speciosum and P. bipinnatifidum.
?
It was "discovered" or "created" by Bill Evans, one of the major historical figures in Disney history.

I have heard rumors that this plant has become native in certain areas, which i doubt, but you never know.
?
?If anyone has anything top add, please chirp in, I'd appreciate it. Thanks...

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.07.03 at 17:23:42(18062)
Dear Arlan,

Aloha...good to hear from you.

Congratulations in advance for working on the Meconostigma site. I do not know much about hybrids...Julius or Ron can comment much more on the history and parentage of the crosses. Philodendron x evansii... Derek Burch may be able to comment on this name...

I am looking forward to the revised site... and I'll be happy to help if I can on the species.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: kalim1998 at yahoo.com (a san juan) on 2008.07.05 at 02:44:47(18076)
Hi Leland,

It does look like there is a small mystery about it as well - and I had thought it was pretty clear cut that the Disney corporation had a hand in its creation, and that Bill Evans had used P. speciosum and P. bippinatifidum (because it certainly looks like evansii looks like a cross between the two)....

+More
From: kalim1998 at yahoo.com (a san juan) on 2008.07.08 at 17:40:03(18111)
Here is my first try at elucidating the history of P. x evansii:

On the Origins of Philodendron x evansii
http://www.blueboard.com/pahatan/rencana/p_x_evansii_origins.htm

feel free to add or comment....

+More
From: hluther at selby.org (Harry Luther) on 2008.07.10 at 00:41:06(18128)
MSBG obtained a plant of philodendron x evansii from Oak Glan Nursery in Miami about 1986. It has never been a good grower and has an odd habit of producing a defective, folded leaf about every 5--6 leaves. It is growing near some somewhat stunted P. speciosum under trees. HEL

-----Original Message-----
From: aroid-l-bounces at gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces at gizmoworks.com]On Behalf Of a san juan

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.