IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Mosterar deliciosa--info. on different clones.
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.07.07 at 10:07:59(18096)
----------------------------------------
> Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 19:12:03 -0700
> From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com
> To: aroid-l at gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Mosterar deliciosa

Dear Jason, Leyland and all Aroidophiles,

Aloha.
Vol 1 no. 1 also gave up another titbit of great information, as in his profile of Monstera deliciosa Madison states that "Several of the wild clones which are not widely grown are dwarf forms, achieving olny one third the size of the common ones." The synonyms he lists are also interesting, and food for someone with a better computer that I own to investigate. First off, the ''correct'' name is Monstera deliciosa Lieb., Kjoeb, Vidensk, Meddel 19: 9 (1849). The synonyms Madison lists are, in order--M. borsigiana Engler [could this name be based on the, or one of the dwarf forms which we saw a photo of from Marak, and which had this name attached???]; M. lennea Koch; Monstera tacanensis Matuda; Philodendron pertusum Kunth & Bouche; (???) and Tornelia fragrans Guttierez. To me it would be an interesting exercise to attempt to determine the ''why'' concerning these great taxonomists describing another specimen of such a VERY distinctive plant as a new species. If we could view the specimens invol
ved, we just might learn that some of them, especially those of Koch, that of Matuda and Guttierez`s, might be the smaller dwarf forms which to them might have seemed to be distinct.
I see where "Philodendron'' pertusa Kunth & Bouche is mentioned, we now know (thanks to Pete) this this is an Asain Raphiodophora sp. which in fact does resemble Monstera deliciosa.
Ah, so much to ponder and learn, and so little time!
Aloha.

Good Growing,

Julius

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.07.08 at 01:59:20(18107)
Dear Monstera aficionados,

Aloha.

You'd think that a species so ubiquitous as Monstera deliciosa would be extremely well known and documented. It seems we are slowly teasing out this information from the archives of dust. Is there somewhere this information can be posted on the IAS website once we collectively untangle this? Steve Lucas can add some of this to his article on Monstera deliciosa...but there should be some easily posted text on the species gallery?

Thoughts to ponder, but this discussion has been educational and enjoyable....time well spent.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.07.08 at 23:54:04(18118)
----------------------------------------
> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 18:59:20 -0700
> From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com
> To: aroid-l at gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Mosterar deliciosa--info. on different clones.

Dear Leyland and Monstera friends,

Aloha.
Great idea, as collectively we certainly have compiled a bunch of fantastic info. from all or many corners! It would be great to have it all on one page or in one site! Maybe Steve Lucas` site??

Aloha,

Julius

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.07.09 at 20:51:51(18125)
JuBo, I've made some updates to the page but will gladly add anything any of you think I need to add or fix. This is the file that totally vanished but I managed to find most of the material. You can see what I've done here:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Monstera%20deliciosa%20large%20pc.html

Please do point out anything that needs to be corrected.

Steve

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.