IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Intra-what!--Structures on Mecon. Philo.'s rhizome
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.07.20 at 12:54:27(18199)
> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:29:34 +0000
> From: bonaventure at optonline.net
> To: aroid-l at gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Intra-what--Structures on Mecon. Philo.'s rhizome

Dear Bonaventure and Friends,

Yes, Leyland`s description of the ''dragon`s teeth'' stipules/squamules on his P. mello-barettoanum`s rhizome is accurate, and they WILL hurt you! I received a bad puncture/cut from the knife-like ones on a large P. bipinnatifidum some years ago, and the long and thin spine-like ones that occur on P. undulatum are also daunting when one has to handle a plant!
Off-topic for a moment--the plant family Aristolochia is also dear to my heart, though those pictured on the page given by Bonaventure are not A. ringens. The blooms pictured certainly have quite a ''look'' to them though! The widly splayed blooms of several species, including A. grandiflora on Trinidad have a few unmentionably rude ''local''/common names.
As one of my first forays into Botany (when I was under 7 years of age) was when I noticed butterfly larvae on a plant of what I today know to have been A. trilobata planted to be used by our maid as birth control! ( I published on this in a later paper). The larvae were of again what I know today to be Battus polydamus, which became the second species of b/fly my brother and I raised to adults. At around 9 or 10, I ''discovered'' the fly-trap blooms of A. rugosa, and even at that age realized that flies were being trapped for pollination purposes! I have a plant of this species growing at my home, I collected it about 20 years ago back in Trinidad, and it does well on a trellis here, flowering profusly almost all year long. No seed-set, as there must not be pollinators around. It is completely denuded by Battus polydamus larvae several times per year with no long-term bad effects! I also discovered a new species in the late 60`s/early 70`s when I worked in S.W. Trinidad by following an Battus belus
female in her quest for a larval food plant and on which she deposited her eggs. It was described a couple years later by Miss Panter at Kew in England as A. boosii in honor of the collector of the type specimens.
If anyone would like to continue this off-topic thread, please do so off aroid-l at my e-mail address--

+More
From: bonaventure at optonline.net (bonaventure at optonline.net) on 2008.07.21 at 21:31:42(18208)
Hi Julius,
I would like to continue off list but just need to clarify the Aristolachia species as ridicula, not ringens. please see http://www.sunshine-seeds.de/aristolochiaceae/Aristolochia_ridicula2.jpg

My Amorphophallus konjac, dunii, and albus have taken over the yard! Hard to get even to the dangerous trichomes on Solanum atropurpureum 'Purple Daggers'. They seem injurous only to what they shade and crowd out.

Bonaventure

+More
From: botanist at malesiana.com (Peter Boyce) on 2008.07.22 at 05:56:50(18212)
Yes,this is A.ridicula

Pete

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.