IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Pistia pollination
From: Taylor Holzer <taylorholzer at yahoo.com> on 2009.01.20 at 21:51:44(18943)
i think that dragonflies may play a part in pollinating pistia, in my pond i had many dragonflies landing on tthe ones i had.

does anyone have a souce for pistia plants?

+More
From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2009.01.23 at 16:53:32(18954)

Hiyer!

Dragonflies and damselflies are not pollinators. They arepredators. They would not be around your pond unless there was plenty to eat!They are quite voracious, with the aquatic larvae eating the stuff in the pondand the adults eating whatever emerges or flies by. They are death on mosquitolarvae, dayflying mosquitos, blackflies, gnats, midges and other flies. I haveeven watched them pluck spiders from the center of their webs.

One goofy thing is that in Jamaica and a few other CaribbeanIslands (Julius and I discussed this together long ago) there are freshwatercrabs that live in the water collected in bromeliad axils. There aredamselflies that only lay their eggs in these little aquariums. They have anelongated abdomen to reach way back in to the axils. If a crab is present, theywill grab the damselflies’ abdomen and reel it in. The crab will eat thedamselfly, and maybe cut it up into small pieces for its young crabs swimmingin the bromeliad tank. This still releases the damselfly’s eggs, which hatch,and the young damsels then are predators on the crab larvae. Go figure.

Happy days,

Christopher

D.Christopher Rogers

HTML

+More

From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.01.23 at 21:57:23(18962)
Dear Christopher and All,

Nice story, Christopher!  I wish I could learn more about the Brom. crab on the mountains of Trinidad!
My good friend Marc, our aroid expert in France just posted a thought, suggesting that Pistia might be pollinated by water!   Interesting, and well worth pondering and investigating!   BUT---I`d think that the plants of this in Ted`s aquarium (water) would then be able to set seed!!!!!!   Ted 1---what think thee??   So---maybe there is a TINY midge or gnat ''out there'' in more tropical climes which ''does the dirty'' for Pistias benifit.

Julius

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.01.25 at 17:59:50(18970)
Hi,

Let me add a few words. Although Pistia blooms frequently, it very rarely gets pollinated and produce seeds. It propagates usually vegetatively through stolons. Has anyone seen Pistia's fruit?

Marek

HTML

+More

From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.01.26 at 10:37:14(18984)
Dear Marek,

Yes!  Pista fruit are quite common, at least on plants in canals near West Palm Beach, Florida. 
The secret is to locate mature plants in the wild, and learn where to look on the plant, as the fruit are located LOWER down on the older portion of the rhizome, and are held against the rhizome, well hidden amongst the old ''straw'' of the deteriorated portions of older leaves mostly below the water line.

Julius

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.