IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Failed Amorphophallus Bloom
From: David <onimua at gmail.com> on 2009.02.04 at 15:38:12(19049)
Hey guys! I was hoping someone can give me some answers about what went wrong with my plant (I believe it is dactylifer).

I got it a couple of months ago, and it started growing fine. It was, in fact an inflorescence, and had been developing just fine, albeit slower than I had experienced with other amorphs. Unfortunately, something happened and it had died (the flower, not the tuber which I dug back out a bit to see it in tact but smaller from producing the flower). Does anyone have any hints as to what had gone wrong? I personally don't understand how it manage to get that far in the inflorescence only to die with no known cause. Any thoughts about this would be appreciated, and how the next time I can do something to ensure a more successful bloom.

I attached pics of the final weeks of it, including the look of the inside of the spathe after it had collapsed in case it might be any help.

Thanks!
--000e0cd20d8655e92d046219939d----000e0cd20d8655e935046219939f

HTML

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.02.15 at 02:08:17(19109)

Hello,

It was too cold.

Marek

HTML

+More

From: David <onimua at gmail.com> on 2009.02.17 at 01:50:25(19117)
Thanks for the reply, but how cold is "cold"? Right now the temperature ranges from 81-86F on most days (day and night), and some days it can go up to about 90F. Does it need to be hotter than this then?

And is it just for the flower, or is it overall for this species (leaf as well as dormancy)?

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.02.18 at 17:35:54(19124)

So, the temperature is ok. I observed failing of the inflorescences when it was below 50-55F in my Zantedeschias growing outdoors. Houseplants can fail to bloom when it's below 60F, Anthurium cultivars even below 63F. My Amorphophallus plants depending on a species bloomed in 58-80F.

Looking again at your photos I can tell it was planted too shallow. This may be the reason - it could have weak roots or a lack of them.

Marek

HTML

+More

From: Susan B <honeybunny442 at yahoo.com> on 2009.02.20 at 19:39:58(19130)
Lack of humidity can also be a factor in failed blooms.
This is noticed when Am. titanums are growing in a greenhouse, then moved to be on public display.

HTML

+More

From: David <onimua at gmail.com> on 2009.02.22 at 18:53:31(19133)
Marek, It was originally potted fully, however, when I started to notice the flower was beginning to lean over, the petiole was starting to shrink, and the tip was discolored, I dug it up in fear of tuber rot. It never grew roots at all from what I could tell.

Susan, humidity could be a possibility I didn't think of. I am not completely sure what the humidity is, actually, but my A.titanums, A.decus-silvaes and a couple of other species do not seem to mind what it is now. However, what would be a reccomended level if that were the case? 50-75%?

Thanks for the responses.
David

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.