IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Alocasia 'Stingray' query
From: Jeremy P <drplantman at gmail.com> on 2009.02.15 at 22:41:01(19110)
Hi Listers,

I seem to recall that late last year there was a reference to Alocasia 'Stingray' (see image here: http://www.centralfloridafarms.com/alocasia-stingray.htm [nb: not my image or website] ), but I can't find anything in the archive search. Someone may be able to answer my query anyway, and that is does anyone know what species this is considered to be a form of?

With thanks in anticipation,

Jeremy

HTML

+More

From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at googlemail.com> on 2009.02.16 at 06:56:30(19112)
Hi Jeremy,

Without doubt Alocasia macrorrhizos. Although 'Stingray' is very distinctive here in Sarawak quite a few people are growing what might be considered as 'semi stingray' in the kampungs. I have no doubt that this popped up somewhere here in Asia and has been propagated from person to person until it reached one of the local markets and went from there to Bangkok or one of the Jakarta pasar bunga-bunga and thence to the aroid community worldwide.

Very best

Peter

HTML

+More

From: Michael Pascall <mickpascall at hotmail.com> on 2009.02.16 at 07:18:28(19113)
I think it could be a mutant form of macrorrhizos.
Saw a large plant growing in full sun , and it gets to approx 1.5m .
This is with no trunk and only approx a few years old .
Seems to be difficult to keep thriving in pot culture.
I just planted out one , near a grove of Amorphos .

Michael Pascall,

HTML

+More

From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.02.16 at 10:46:05(19114)
Dear Jeremy,

When this striking plant first made it`s appearance on the aroid scene here in S. Florida, I was told that it was an aberant form of Alocasia macrorrhiza, I THINK it was first seen in Thailand or somewhere in that region.
I HOPE this helps, and that others will chime in if they have different or additional information.

Good Growing in that rainy place! :--)

Julius Boos,
WPB,  FLORIDA

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.02.16 at 15:33:15(19115)
Hello,

This photo:

http://www.wschowa.com/abrimaal/araceum/alocasia/stingray.htm

has been for a long time in the ID Center.

All the suggestions I got were identical -

that this is a variety or a cultivar of Alocasia macrorrhizos.

Any photo of an inflorescence would be appreciated.

Marek Argent

HTML

+More

From: "Harry Luther" <hluther at selby.org> on 2009.02.16 at 20:03:32(19116)
Stingray was apparently collected in PNG by Bruce Dunstan. You Aussies can ring him up. HEL

-----Original Message-----
From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com]On Behalf Of Jeremy P

HTML

+More

From: "derek burch" <dburch23 at bellsouth.net> on 2009.02.18 at 12:04:33(19120)
Hi everyone,

So what was the earliest place and time (and where) thatthis appeared in print with a picture or description? Does this question soundfamiliar? It is what I (and anyone willing to help me) will be asking a lot asI try to get the IAS undertaking to run a cultivar registration program off theground. Just think, if the cultivar epithet (name) can be established in thisway, it will be possible to look it up on Aroid-l in the future.

Living in hope. Derek

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.