IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Dracunculus growing on clay Z5
From: "J. Agoston" <agoston.janos123 at gmail.com> on 2009.08.01 at 07:18:00(19612)
Dear All,

After growing Darcunculus for several years in big containers I would like to know if they would survive outside. My soil is clay with sodium more than necessary. I would like to know who have success growing it outside in Zone 5. I would try to plant them out, but I don't want to loose them becouse they have nice reddish color not blackish. They were wild collected in Turkey, but the seller don't know where.

Bye,
Jan

HTML

+More

From: James Waddick <jwaddick at kc.rr.com> on 2009.08.02 at 18:27:17(19615)
>After growing Darcunculus for several years in big containers I
>would like to know if they would survive outside. My soil is clay
>with sodium more than necessary. I would like to know who have
>success growing it outside in Zone 5. I would try to plant them out,
>but I don't want to loose them becouse they have nice reddish color
>not blackish. They were wild collected in Turkey, but the seller
>don't know where.

+More
From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.08.02 at 18:51:41(19618)

Hello Jan,

As I rememer you live in Hungary, am I right?

I'm afraid they would not survive outdoors.

according to the IAS map (attached) I live in zone 7,

I live in western Poland, near the letter "n" of "Berlin",

If the map is reliable, your zone is 6

(more continental climate with colder winters)

If you have many tubers, you can always try,

plant it deep (about 15 cm) and add something loose

I don't guarantee a success, but I'll give you a hint:

plant it with a pot, after the winter it'll be easy to find if it's still there.

Best,

Marek

HTML

+More

From: "Christopher Rogers" <CRogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2009.08.03 at 16:32:03(19622)
Howdy!

They should do well if you plant them in a raised bed with very well drained soil. They cannot sit in wet or they will rot. The clay particles in your native soils can complex in the presence of water and form a hydrophobic barrier around the tubers and roots. So you will want to create a a good mix with sand and/or pumice with loam.

Good luck,
Christopher

+More
From: Stanley kaufman <kaufmanrareplants at yahoo.com> on 2009.08.03 at 19:32:30(19623)
It has been growing here in NE Ohio USA for years in one garden I know of, and mutiplying and producing viable seed. I can't vouch for the soil but my place here is primarly clay.
Stan K.
HTML

+More

From: "J. Agoston" <agoston.janos123 at gmail.com> on 2009.08.04 at 12:21:49(19625)
Dear All,

Thank you for your valuable replys!

Yes, I live in Hungary Marek. Thank you for offering seeds James, but unfortunately I don't have the space and time to sow them. I'll try one outside around 30 cm deep. I have had Arum rupicola var. rupicola (I've bought them as Dracunculus years ago, wild dug Turkey) outside, and yet happy and survived the last winter. If it will come up in spring the other will go out too. I think they are infected with a virus, as most Zantedeschias here, we will see.

Bye,
Jan

HTML

+More

From: Steve Marak <samarak at gizmoworks.com> on 2009.08.04 at 15:27:17(19627)
From: bonaventure at optonline.net on 2009.08.12 at 16:13:33(19702)
Mine grew well for me here for years in locations of loose soil with little other plant competition. They would bloom in late May here in my zone 7 garden (about -10C) but in milder winter start showing above ground as early as January. Unfortunayely as my soil has become richer, more compacted, and more populated/shaded, individual colonies died out. I had several healthy blooming plants this spring, but after an unusually cool and wet May and June they collapsed and I found the tubers rotting. I've brought them indoors, cleaned them, and am storing them indoors until next year to see if I can save them.

Bonaventure Magrys

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.