IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

gGbberellic acid and inflorescence-Marek
From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2009.08.05 at 07:13:55(19633)
You are most probably correct about those plants being treated with ga3. As I was mention ing to another group member the plant may look nice and have flowers which is good for sales but at the end of the season, you will be left with a tiny tuber or no tuber at all. Which is also good for sales because your plant dies then you go buy another. Some information I was reading said that Zantedeschia bloom well with GA3. But I would think they would die at the end of the season or very soo as has been your experience :-)

Thanks for telling me that a tuber is a form of a stem. I did not know that. And that may be part of the reason why ga3 can damage them. GA3 will cause main stems in plants to grow very tall. Obviously a tuber trying to grow tall will not work. Ive got no proof of this but the reasoning sounds sound to me.

I refuse to participate in the in the recession.

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.08.07 at 02:19:22(19652)
Hello Vincent et al,

Yes, tubers and rhizomes are forms of stems not roots.

People often talking about Amorphophallus say "stem pattern". This is not a stem, but a petiole.

The green bodies of Lemnoideae are also modified stems - these plants have no leaves.

And everybody knows that a spathe is not a "petal" or "flower", it is a leaf.

Well, we are interested in the most strange plant family, and we're proud of this :)

Marek

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.