IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

blushing philodendron
From: REDRAGON40 at aol.com on 2009.09.03 at 14:23:15(19918)
Awhile back I received a lot of responses about my trying to rescue a cutting that was very distressed, but despite my best efforts, it didn't make it. I would like to locate a plant to replace it. I am not a botanist, so please excuse my clumsy description. When I bought it back in the sixties, it was called a blushing philodendron. Here are some of its characteristics:

standard heart shaped leaves a little smaller and narrower than those of common plants seen in garden stores

a grainy microbeaded upper surface that gives the leaves a sort of matte satin appearance

maroon undersurface

HTML

+More

From: FoodInc5 at aol.com on 2009.09.04 at 15:52:06(19923)
Philodendron scandens subsp. micans "velvet leaf" philodendron.

It's available from many sources by web search.

John

HTML

+More

From: REDRAGON40 at aol.com on 2009.09.04 at 20:48:15(19932)
Thank you so much. I will search for it

Carol

In a message dated 9/4/2009 3:12:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, FoodInc5@aol.com writes:

HTML

+More

From: REDRAGON40 at aol.com on 2009.09.04 at 21:58:21(19933)
John,

I found many references and pictures and it is indeed the plant I am looking for, although I had no idea it could reach 40 feet when climbing. I had my original plant about three years before it was destroyed in our house fire, and the stems were about three feet long in a tabletop pot and very lush. I have found several philodendron sites that sell plants but not the one I want. Are there any suppliers that you could recommend that might carry that variety?

Sincerely,

Carol

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.09.05 at 06:00:00(19939)
Carol, the plant you are seeking is one of the most variable ofall Philodendron species. Dr. Croat once told me if you wereto travel though out its vast range you may well find close to 1000forms of the plant due to the natural variation of the species and theyall don't look alike.

The correct name is Philodendron hederaceum but it is known tocollectors by many names including Philodendron acrocardium,Philodendron cuspidatum, Philodendron hoffmannii, Philodendronmicrophyllum, Philodendron pittier,
Philodendron micans, Philodendron oxycardium, Philodendron scandensand others. Just because they all don't look alike or have thevelutinous (velvety) upper blade surface or the reddish/purple lowerblade surface does not mean the plant is a different species.

Variations such as these have caused this plant to have far too manyscientific names but the first name published to science correct togenus was P. hederaceum so it wins the prize. P.hederaceum is likely the most often misunderstood and misnamed Philodendronspecies in the rain forest. Before that it was known as an Arumspecies. Most collectors consider a few of those names such as Philodendronmicans or Philodendron scandens to be the ideal "houseplant". They also consider them all to be totally different species. But to a botanist they are one and the same plant and if you grow themlong enough the velvet appearance often vanishes and the purple/redturns to green. I've seen it happen in my own atrium and my plants areonly 9 feet tall so far. I've also found the more light you give itthe faster it grows and the the larger the leaf blades become. Therange is enormous and so are the variations to the to the species.

Philodendron hederaceum is widespread in the Caribbean as wellas Mexico, all of Central and most of South America. In the Caribbeanit occurs on the islands of Martinique south to Trinidad. The speciescan be observed at sea level to 1200 meters but possibly as high as1500 meters (3,900 to 4,900 feet) in elevation. In South America itextends from as far south Peru, and Bolivia, near Los RĂ­os provincenear the coast of Ecuador up through Colombia, Venezuela, the Guianas,Brazil.

Although virtually all private collectors consider the species to onlybe small as well as suitable for growing in the kitchen or bath it cangrow much larger than most ever expect. The adult leaves can range insize to approximately 50cm (19 inches) in length! Few "house plant"growers will ever see a leaf of Philodendron hederaceum withblades that size unless you venture into the rain forests of Centraland South America. In the forest the blades often measure 11 to 40cm but possibly up to 50 centimeters (4 to 19.5 inches) long and 8 to 34centimeters (3.25 to 13.33 inches) wide. Fewer still will ever see itproduce an inflorescence since it needs to hit about 20 meters (60feet) up into a host tree and hang down pendently from the treebranches to produce an inflorescence.

I have a page on my website that is badly in need of updating but youcan read what I've written here: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron%20hederaceum%20pc.html
Just tonight I found a bunch of errors and typos in the piece so I'llwork on that tomorrow.

By the way, I have four variations and will gladly give you cuttings. Isent you a private note so just give me an address. I'd love to say I'ddo that for everyone but I just can't supply them to all right now. But do feel free to ask later!

Steve

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.