IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

MidAmerica Chapter announcement
From: Zach DuFran <zdufran at wdtinc.com> on 2009.09.04 at 18:02:47(19925)
Fellow Aroiders-

A new chapter of the IAS is beginning in the south centralUS. The “MidAmerica Chapter” hopes to attract IAS membersfrom Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana and anyone else close enough to driveto our 3-4 meetings each year.

The inaugural meetingwill be November 21 in Oklahoma City, OK at theMyriad Botanical Gardens. This tropical conservatory containsan impressive collection of Palms, Cycads, Bromeliads, Gingers, Orchids, Euphorbias,Begonias, and – you guessed it – Aroids!

There is a new page on the IAS website for this chapter,which will be updated as more information becomes available. http://www.aroid.org/midamerica/

If you are in the area, please plan to attend this importantevent. It will be lots of fun and a great opportunity to meet others whoare interested in Aroids. We will take a tour, trade some plants among ourselves,and Steve Lucas might even share a report on the Aroid Show in Miami.

Please contact me if you plant to attend or with anyquestions you may have.

Thanks!

Zach DuFran

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.09.04 at 19:50:36(19927)
Gladly Zach!

I'll also be bringing some cuttings and a few small plants to sharewith the group and encourage anyone that attends to bring what youmight have available to make the first meeting more pleasurable. Wehave a few IAS members in Missouri and other neighboring states thatare most welcome to come as well.

I know there are concentrations of members in South Texas, especiallyHouston, some in north Texas that we hope will join us in OKC, inFlorida, some in the upper east coast states, southern California andother areas that can quickly join together to form a newchapter.......all you need is someone like Zach to take the lead. Please consider it!

Many of us would love to see more chapters form in Europe, Asia andSouth America as well. Some in England have already expressed aninterest so just make yourself known and hopefully we can put youtogether with others that want to do the same. I know for certainthere is some interest in Australia as well. All your "down under"guys and gals raise your hands and someone take the lead. I think Iknow who that will be already but that individual can take the leadright here!

The only way we are going to make aroids even more popular is to jointogether and the IAS is one major way to get it done. Things onlyhappen when people make it happen!

However, this meeting is open to ANYONE interested in aroids. Justbecause you haven't joined IAS doesn't mean we don't want to meet youand know about what you grow and love. Sure, I'm going to encourageyou to join but we still want you to join us!

Albert is adding new information to the IAS site all the time to helpin the formation of new chapters. If you are the person that iswilling to spearhead a chapter in your area please make yourselfknown! Growing aroids is more fun if you have someone to share themwith!

Please join us in Oklahoma City! And thanks Zach, this is going to befun! But even if you have no plans to join the IAS right now pleasecome and spend some time with us at the Myriad Botanical Gardens andCrystal Bridge Conservatory on November 21st!

I hope you all will be in Miami in two weeks!

Steve

HTML

+More

From: Albert M Huntington <amh at ieee.org> on 2009.09.04 at 20:20:32(19930)
Folks,

I just wanted to take this opportunity to mention that Steve Lucas and I have been working on some tools to help anyone who is interested in forming local chapters of the IAS.

Please visit the new chapters page at http://www.aroid.org/society/chapters.php for more information on how the society can help out local groups with publicity materials, web space and advice.

I'd also like to mention that the West Coast chapter will be meeting on Sunday, October 18th at the UC Davis Botanical Conservatory. We'll have talks, lots of plants for sale with the money going to support the hosting institution, and a tour of the aroid collection there. For more information, see our webpage at http://www.aroid.org/westcoast/

--Albert

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.