IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Aroideana 33
From: "Derek Burch" <derek at horticulturist.com> on 2009.12.03 at 14:42:41(20380)
Time plays tricks at this season, and the final few weeks of the
year usually fly by with all the great articles that people have thought of
writing for Aroideana still maturing within their heads. Please don't fall
into this pattern for another year: the journal needs articles that relate
to our experiences in growing or collecting or anything else that goes a
little beyond the casual dialogues that develop on aroid-l, many of which
could easily spawn a short article.

The deadline for text is the early part of January. There is space
for your article on your interests in this, your journal. Hope to se you
there.

+More
From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at googlemail.com> on 2010.09.20 at 05:21:06(21467)
I am surprised that no-one (or virtually no-one) has commented
on the arrival of the 272 pages of Aroideana 33.

For those of us not living in the greater Miami area,
Aroideana is one of the very few tangible benefits of our annual dues; its
arrival is a high point of the year.

I am taking this opportunity to remind everyone that Aroideana
is steadily increasing in both bulk and quality and that this is very almost
solely down to Derek’s unflagging dedication, time and energy. All
voluntarily given.

Peter

HTML

+More

From: "Alan Galloway" <alan_galloway at bellsouth.net> on 2010.09.21 at 17:51:50(21480)
Pete,

I still have not received my copy here in Raleigh, NC, USA, but am anxiously

awaiting it!

Alan

HTML

+More

From: Christopher Rogers <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2010.09.21 at 17:56:44(21481)
Hear, hear!!

I have my Aroidiana and I have been thoroughly enjoying the first article. Thank you Peter! You have done a great job. Tom's contributions are great as always. All the contributors have done well, and Derek brings it all together in a fantastic package.

I love the journal, I am grateful for it, and I want to see it continue to grow and expand. Every issue has been useful for me in one way or another.

Thanks to all who are involved,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: Alberto Grossi <crinum at libero.it> on 2010.09.21 at 18:54:15(21484)
Peter, I received my copy today, in Italy. At first glance it looks GREAT!
Alberto

HTML

+More

From: Jay Vannini <heloderma5 at hotmail.com> on 2010.09.21 at 19:32:21(21485)
Ouch!

That having been said, Peter Boyce is quite on target with this deserved tip of his hat to Derek Burch's selflessness and professionalism as the editor of Aroideana. Having now been involved in the production process myself, I can assure bystanders that this individual has perfected the art of herding cats and probably deserves a trophy of some kind, perhaps a gold-plated riding crop ;)

Thanks, Derek!

HTML

+More

From: "Jean-Luc Gatard" <jlgate at caramail.com> on 2010.09.22 at 06:42:12(21491)

Peter,

My copy just arrived yesterday.You're right,this is a good work and now it is a large book size,full of pages and with a lot of pictures than in the past.

This is the only benefit for foreign members of IAS.Always awaiting.

Thanks to contributors writers for their work.

Jean-Luc

HTML

+More

From: Chad Mayer <chadmayer at yahoo.com> on 2010.09.22 at 19:13:41(21493)
Peter, I'm glad you brought this up. I got my copy the other day, and I'm very, very impressed. I'm accustomed to reading academic literature of various sorts, as well as 'hobbyist' literature in several forms. Aroideana is better than the vast majority of academic venues. It ALSO provides a serious outlet for the 'amateur' to engage in and learn about this fascinating group of plants. Its accessible, focused and intelligible.

Note that I put "amateur" and "hobbyist" in single quotes. I've never experienced a field of study with such overlap and cross-fertilization of ideas between 'hard' academics and the layman. I've also never known a field with such professional 'amateurs'. Even more amazing, the 'hard' academics interact freely and comfortably with their counterparts outside of the academic
arena. Fairly remarkable.

I hope I'm not going too far overboard, but I'd venture to say that Derek is developing a format that might cut a path for other journals in the future. Everyone is always talking about the popularization of science. This group is actually accomplishing that goal.

Derek, much good karma is flowing your way.

Chad

HTML

+More

From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2010.09.22 at 23:16:08(21494)
Dear Pete:

It is true that Derek does a
wonderful job and we are blessed to have him. While Carla and I also edit nearly
all of articles it is Derek that does work of making all the changes, dealing
with the photos, dealing with the printers and corresponding with authors. Our
deadline for the next issue is January 15th.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: "Nancy Greig" <ngreig at hmns.org> on 2010.09.23 at 13:48:12(21497)
I received my copy last week, and it is
great. Thank you, Derek, for all your efforts!

Best wishes to all – so good to meet
some of you at the recent IAS gathering,

Nancy

HTML

+More

From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2010.09.23 at 18:05:51(21501)
Dear Peter and All,

Aloha.

As of today, I have not received my copy. I have worked with Derek in the past and he does a great job of communication and editing, etc. Thank you Derek, for your work on Aroidiana. I would like to thank everyone that has a hand in producing this journal that straddles the realms of the professional and the amateur. It popularizes our passion for the amazing world of Araceae to a wider audience. How do we increase our membership in the IAS so that Aroidiana can remain the crowning achievement of our society?

Here in Hawaii, there are some amazing collections and collectors of aroids, and yet, I believe I can count the current IAS members in our islands on one hand. I know there are amazing collections in South America and
Asia....collectors that do not belong to the IAS. I love the IAS website for basic information and photos as well as Aroid-l. How do we bring the lurkers into the fold so this wonderful group can expand to become truely an International Aroid Society?

I have a dream about the IAS becoming as popular as the Cactus and Succulent Society of America, or the International Palm Society, etc. The plants are equally or even more amazing. There is a great pool of cultivated plants available in palms, cycads, and succulents, etc., due to the increased interest. In the early days, most of those plants were wild-collected, but now, the majority are from ex-situ, sustainable sources, and the selection of species is incredible. The Araceae have been relatively ignored in this regard and unfortunately, there are permitting laws that are counterproductive to importing or exporting that make legally
collected material much more difficult to transport between certain countries. Just look at the number of Anthurium and Philodendron species listed, and compare that with species available in cultivation. The unfortunate situation is that aroid habitats are disappearing every day and species are lost in spite of good conservation laws. I could write a dissertation on this subject, but, I see a great benefit to expanding our membership and our sphere of influence to promote the Araceae internationally.

I find it incredible that a few passionate enthusiasts are voluntarily carrying the IAS on their shoulders, we need to thank them all. We also need to find a way to grow and thrive well into the future, and for that, we need many more active members. I also wish to thank the professionals in the field that contribute articles and advice as they create a foundation of new
information.

HTML

+More

From: "Derek Burch" <derek at horticulturist.com> on 2010.09.24 at 14:03:25(21508)

Thank you to everyone for
being pleased with Aroideana this time. I can’t let the occasion pass
without beginning my usual cry for help with articles for the next issue. Tom
is wrong in giving a deadline of January 15 for it – that has to be my “absolute”,
and before the New Year is much better since no one wants to write last minute
things over the holidays.

I will certainly help
with writing, and would much prefer it if articles “in the rough”
came directly to me, rather than through either Steve or Tom, much as I value
their support. I will have to work on them eventually, so see no point in
taking up their time with this. They could be writing their own articles
instead !

If we are to have a
strong “gardening” section, I would be happiest if it were several
people’s experience on a single topic, or a coordinated ‘where to
go and what to see’ for a particular region. Any interest there? Room
for volunteers to organise that if anyone is interested.

Again thank you for all
the compliments on the issue – you are all certainly welcome to whatever
I can put into it while I am still ambulatory (that is a minimum of walking
from my keyboard to the bathroom and back at need).

Regards, Derek

HTML

+More

From: rajshekharmisra at yahoo.com on 2010.09.24 at 14:45:26(21509)
Great, you have done again a great job. Congratulations.
Sent from BSNL with my BlackBerry smartphone

-----Original Message-----

+More
From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2010.09.24 at 17:46:28(21510)
Dear Derek:

Yes, I knew that you did not
really want articles sent in on the deadline. I hope that I did not mislead people
into believing that this was when you wanted the articles. Clearly it is the
time to start getting articles sent in for the next issue.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2010.09.25 at 18:05:09(21513)
Dear Derek,

Aloha.

I just got my Aroidiana 33, yesterday. It is amazing in scope and content. It is hard to believe that such a monumental effort on behalf of all involved; is voluntary. It renews one's faith in the generosity of humanity. I know the process must be like herding cats at times. Derek, you are to be rewarded on some divine level, at some point. For this world, I wish to thank you personally.

I will do my part to write. My favorite group of aroids is Philodendron subgenus, Meconostigma. Perhaps discussions on cultivating these plants would be of interest.

On a sober note, I just read in this present issue, of the death of my friend, Craig Phillips. I knew him for many years. I believe we started
to correspond because our mutual interest in the genus, Monstera. I soon discovered that we had much more in common; illustration, diving,coelacanths, fossils, poison arrow frogs, and a host of other subjects. I still have some of his illustrations of fish that he gave me. I certainly miss his letters, which were all written in the old way...in the real world. This world has lost another living treasure. Craig was so knowledgeable and genuine and generous. I was deeply saddened to learn of his passing.

Aloha,

Leland

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.