IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Temperate Tuberous Species Dormancy
From: Christopher Rogers <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2010.06.17 at 23:25:09(21124)
Hiyer!

I have some Pinellia, Arisaema and Arisarum that I need to go dormant because I am moving. In fact I am moving from California to Kansas. If I withold water, will they go dormant and break dormancy again next spring or will they die? The Pinellia and Arisarum have been up now for about four months, and the Arisaema for about two months. Have they had time to replentish their tubers?

Thanks in advance,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: "Andrew Schrimsher" <bigdopey.whiteboy at verizon.net> on 2010.06.18 at 04:35:16(21127)
California to Kansas?...on purpose?....

aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] On

HTML

+More

From: michael kolaczewski <mjkolaffhbc at sbcglobal.net> on 2010.06.18 at 04:37:23(21128)
Greetings Christopher,

I can only speak about moving and storing Arisaema.

I am assuming the you are going to transport these by land.

I have done this many times in containers, moving the plant in leaf,

moving them from one garden or location to another.

If it is early enough in the season, I plant directly into the ground,

at their new location.

Otherwise, just leave the plants in the pots, for the remainder of the season,

and the following spring, examine the tubers for signs of life,

cleaning away any soft or dead tissue,and replant

them before they break for the season.

I have on occasion, ( several times actually ) brought plants
home,

put them into the garage, or behind some shrubs to keep them out of the sun,

and of course forgot about them. Only to find them weeks later or in the fall,

after cleaning up the garden before winter. After examining them, the tubers

appeared ok, and indeed the following spring, they broke, smaller, but still alive.

hope this post was useful.

Michael

HTML

+More

From: Christopher Rogers <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2010.06.18 at 15:20:10(21129)
Hiyer, Andrew!

Good to hear from you.

Absolutely!! My wife and I have wanted to leave CA for nearly twenty years. I love the natural history and the restaurants. We hate the crowds, the high taxes, the blatant stupidity. I will give you an example: I live in the City of Davis. Due to the poor economy, Davis has cut several law enforcement programs, and not hired several police officers that were supposed to be added to the force. However, Davis has decided that it needs to fill a newly created position, a position that is full time, with full benefits. That position is City Poet.

Another example: the governor announced back in January that the state was broke, and pleaded with the legislature to cut spending. On camera the legislature agreed. Over the next months, the legislature then passed millions of dollars worth of brand new mandatory programs.

My wife and I grew up in the country, and we want to get back to that far less complicated existence.

Happy days,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: Christopher Rogers <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2010.06.18 at 15:22:09(21130)
Thanks!

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:37 PM, michael kolaczewski wrote:

Greetings Christopher,

HTML

+More

From: "Andrew Schrimsher" <bigdopey.whiteboy at verizon.net> on 2010.06.19 at 06:07:53(21132)
I could be a City Poet.....'there once was a man from
Nantucket......"....I lived in 'you can't get there from here' Montana for
a number of years, so I have a great appreciation for the outdoors and a
simpler existence.....drove across Kansas on our nearly 5000 mile honeymoon
adventure a few years ago......hope the move goes well and the new location
suits you ......
HTML

+More

From: Ken Mosher <ken at spatulacity.com> on 2010.06.19 at 17:06:52(21133)
Christopher, surely no city can get by
without a full-time poet!

Let's get this nice fellow started:

There once was a Poet from Davis

who married a turtle named Mavis

There weren't any cops

but the poetry was tops!

Only WE from government stupidity can save us!

I'm not applying for the position

HTML

+More

From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2010.06.21 at 04:04:03(21134)
Christopher: Kansas is a wonderful state. I lived in Lawrence while I was getting
my Ph.D. It is a lovely town and close to Kansas
City if you get bored with gentle living. Lots of
people are leaving California
owing to the high taxes. Since it is now bankrupt it will only get worse.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: Christopher Rogers <CRogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2010.06.22 at 16:49:19(21135)
Thanks, my friend!

D. Christopher Rogers

HTML

+More

From: Christopher Rogers <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2010.06.22 at 17:02:46(21136)
Okay, the gauntlet has been thrown.

How about this:

For a poem you work all of the time,

To find just the perfectest line,

To get the right verse,

For each word you’ve nursed,

And come up with a really good sounding poem . . .

Grins,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: Don Bittel <donbit121 at hotmail.com> on 2010.06.24 at 02:20:27(21140)
Christopher,

I agree with Tom, having lived my first 21 years in Kansas. I may have to retire there myself since my beloved Florida is getting so expensive. My mother-in law's house, a 3/2 in a medium size town, just sold for $56,000. and my dad's house, a 2/1 with large garage is for sale now for $18,000 if you're interested!  You can't even buy a Honda for that price.

Good luck, and let us know where you settle.

Don Bittel

HTML

+More

From: Christopher Rogers <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2010.06.24 at 16:35:22(21141)
Dear all,

I have received lots of email on and off list about my move. You are all very kind and I appreciate your support. I promise to stay involved in Aroid-L and IAS, and I promise to let anyone know where I am if they need my address.

I will be incommunicado (which I am told is just a noncommunicating avocado) for the next few weeks as I make my eastward journey, but I will be back. I promise!

I just want to add that you guys are all really great! I really appreciate all the kindness and generosity this wonderful group has bestowed upon me over the years. The amount of brain power and experience in this group is truly awesome, and I have learned much.

Happy days!

Christopher

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.