IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Plants and emails
From: santoury at aol.com on 2010.08.24 at 19:23:17(21315)
Hey guys
Is it just my computer, or do people just not post often at all? When I signed up, I was under the impression there would be a fairly large base of people on here, so I would have thought I'd be getting more emails? Or is my computer acting up? (Nothing in my junk folder.)

So, trying again... I'm just putting a feeler out there - is anybody selling or trading anything these days?

Have a good one!

Jude

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2010.08.25 at 13:20:15(21319)
Jude, traffic on Aroid l appears to be seasonal the same as it is
on virtually all the plant discussion groups. When people raise good
questions you will see a great deal of traffic. The doldrums of the
heat in August does not tend to make many of us active with our
collections but rather fleeing for cool.

My suggestion is you post your questions and respond to anything you
may be able to help with. The more posts that come "over the transom"
the more posts that will follow. We have also had the terrible loss of
one our most knowledgeable and active participants, my friend Julius
Boos, so things have been quieter than usual The IAS and Aroid l are
all volunteer organizations so we have to have good volunteers to help
with all sorts of things.

I do fear that sometimes folks may feel intimidated and rather than
posting their questions here will go to other sources where they may
receive a less qualified answer so I always encourage anyone that
doesn't understand anything they read or observe to just ask. Aroid l
is blessed with many people that know what they are talking about.
Just ask! Or comment!

By the way, the IAS show is coming up in just three week so take a look
at the IAS site for more information: www.Aroid.org More word on all
of this right away.

BE SURE AND SIGN UP FOR THE SATURDAY NIGHT DINNER!

Steve

HTML

+More

From: "Russell Coker" <cokerra at bellsouth.net> on 2010.08.25 at 14:18:37(21322)
Hi Jude.

I can only speak for myself, but my interest in aroids is limited to Amorphophallus and Arisaemas - and there is another site that discusses Arisaemas only so there really isn't anything here concerning them. I'm in zn 8b and I don't have a greenhouse so winter storage is an issue. Except for tropical Arisaemas, if I can't grow it in the ground here it ends up being a lot of trouble that I'd rather not have to deal with. For some reason I don't have much luck with these plants in pots for very long.

Incidentally, a few years ago I ended up with some Am coaetaneus tubers by accident that I was hauling in and out of a friend's greenhouse every year. Last summer I decided to plant them in the ground and let them fend for themselves. They both died down in the fall but came back this spring after a really cold, wet winter and bloomed for the first time. I put all of this in a post here back in the spring to see if anyone else had had similar experiences with unexpected hardiness of any Amorphophallus species they could share but got ZERO replies. Oh well.

As for selling/trading, I listed one of the coaetaneus and 2 Arisaema balansae on ebay yesterday. One of the balansae is left.

Russell

HTML

+More

From: Don Martinson <llmen at wi.rr.com> on 2010.08.25 at 15:08:43(21324)
On 8/24/10 2:23 PM, "santoury@aol.com" wrote:

Hey guys

Is it just my computer, or do people just not post often at all? When I signed up, I was under the impression there would be a fairly large base of people on here, so I would have thought I'd be getting more emails? Or is my computer acting up? (Nothing in my junk folder.)

So, trying again... I'm just putting a feeler out there - is anybody selling or trading anything these days?

Have a good one!

Jude

Hi Jude (I was tempted to say Hey Jude, but...)

I don’t know the current count (is there an actual count?), but this list has hundreds of aroid enthusiasts from the heights of the horticulturati, down to rank amateurs (like myself). The activity on this (and many other lists) can be very much like a roller coaster; periods of high activity when a particular subject is being discussed or debated, interspersed with periods of relative quiet. For what it’s worth, this list has recent lost one of it’s most beloved members to cancer (I’m sure I’m not violating any HIPPA laws here), and maybe some folks are just a bit “down”. Also it’s late summer and many of us may be out tending to our plants or trying to get in that last vacation before Labor Day. This variation is just the natural course of things with this and many other lists.

You’ve already made your introduction, which is a good start. So not to worry, sit back, relax, and wait for a subject to come up. Of course, you’re still free to post a question of your own and often times that will start the ball rolling.

It’s also been my observation that not much “trading” shows up on this list. Somewhat puzzling in a way, considering the volume of seeds some of these species produce. But many of our members are professional growers, and their “extra” seeds become the future inventory. Occasionally, someone will post “I have some seed of X available, if interested, please contact me privately.” Please take the “privately” seriously, as most transactions are best conduction privately, or “off-list”. Sometimes the person will be asking for some type of payment, others will be satisfied with a trade for something they don’t already have. But the bottom line is that offers of trades and the like are completely at the discretion of the poster.

FWIW, I have recently obtained several dozen seeds of Anthurium willdenowii..

http://www.aroid.org/TAP/species/anthwilldenow.php

I don’t want to make any offer of them (most likely free or for a trade of some sort), until I have evidence that they are viable and I would prefer to actually have some small plantlets to send. I don’t know how uncommon or desirable this species is, but the more uncommon the offering, the more interest it will generate (best not to offer cuttings of a ‘Golden Pothos’ (Epipremnum aureum), for example.

And finally, in regard to selling; There are many fine growers on this list who have businesses selling to the public. They wisely do not “beat their own drums” and advertise on the list. A good internet search will find these sellers. (Hint: Might this not be a good link to have on the IAS Website under “Aroid Sources”?)

I hope I have answered your concerns and not bored the other members to tears.

Don Martinson

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2010.08.25 at 23:26:51(21326)
Hey Jude :)

I noticed the same, the correspondence is being sent to the subscribers once a few days,

not like it was earlier, even a few times a day. I don't know what's the reason.

Best,

Marek

HTML

+More

From: "Derek Burch" <derek at horticulturist.com> on 2010.08.27 at 12:33:32(21332)
Dear Marek and Jude,

I think that I can give you a clue here:
the postings are carefully monitored by someone who has a full-time, very
demanding job, and does this as a labor of love. He would never give this reason
himself, but please be a little understanding 

Derek

HTML

+More

From: mossytrail at hcc.net on 2010.08.28 at 23:16:36(21347)
Hey, Jude (sorry, couldn't resist) -- this list goes through cycles,
sometimes more active, sometimes less. You will find that the majority of
posts are requests for ID help, with links to pictures. Selling and
trading is mainly specific members who tend to post at specific seasons.
Be patient and you will see them.

Jason Hernandez

+More
From: santoury at aol.com on 2010.08.31 at 00:39:13(21353)
Gotcha! Thanks - and Marek, thank you for doing this for all of us! It's awesome what you're doing.
Derek, I do hope that I didn't come across as not being understanding. That was not my intention at all.

-----Original Message-----

HTML

+More

From: santoury at aol.com on 2010.08.31 at 00:40:08(21354)
Hey there!

It's all good - I've gotten used to it :)

Hey Jude :)

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.