IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Help with Typhonium ID possible Australian spp?
From: Brad O'Reilly <b.oreilly at live.com.au> on 2010.10.29 at 23:51:41(21588)

Hi All,

I acquired this species roughly two seasons ago as the native Australain species Typhonium Brownii, but i always had my doubts. Now it has bloomed for me i believe it may be Typhonium eliosurum based on the description on plantNET. I have not been able to find any good pictures of the inflorescene or the plant itself for that matter and i have had limited experience with this genera.
It has proven coldy hardy and maintained foliage all season even through winter with lows down to 1-2c in the unheated glasshouse.
I have attached some pics. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards
Brad O'Reilly
HTML

+More

From: Michael Pascall <mickpascall at hotmail.com> on 2010.10.30 at 03:13:25(21592)
Brad , I think it will be the very weedy sp. Typhonium blumei
Michael Pascall,

HTML

+More

From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter at xs4all.nl> on 2010.10.30 at 11:42:43(21598)
I guess this is just T. roxburghii, a weed in Australasia. I do stress again that for identification of arouids, it is almost always necessary to open the base of the spathe and photograph the flowers and other organs in it. Look at the Aroid genera pages on the IAS website to see why and how.

Best,

Wilbert

HTML

+More

From: Brad O'Reilly <b.oreilly at live.com.au> on 2010.11.02 at 05:41:49(21616)

Alan, thanks for the link. It is the first ever typhonium i have grown and first i have bloomed so far so its is all new to me.

Wilbert,

Will make sure next time i take pictures of the floral chamber.

Thanks

Brad

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.