IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Steve Lucas and Julius Boos
From: Scott Radford <s.rad4d at ymail.com> on 2011.01.18 at 17:14:41(21764)
Sadly I too never got to meet this late great individual in person. He was a total inspiration to me since I first discovered the IAS. His personal contact list lead me to Julius Boos and onto other aroid enthusiasts ac ross the globe. These two total gentlemen helped me - a stranger - as th oughthey knew me already. That was so profoundly moving on my part it is hard to accept they both are now no longer among us. The IAS I do hope has among its members willing and able individuals to carry the Soc iety forward from this really low point and run it for the future as a l egacy to these two outstanding individuals. Somewhere on the planet th ere must be aroids yet to be found that deserve to be named after these two late great IAS members. ________________________________ From:"aroid-l-request@www.gizmoworks.com" www.gizmoworks.com> To:aroid -l@www.gizmoworks.com Sent: Tue, 18 January, 2011 5:46:28 Subject: Aroi d-L Digest, Vol 78, Issue 14 Send Aroid-L mailing list submissions to aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.com To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/listinfo/aroi d-l or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to ar oid-l-request@www.gizmoworks.com You can reach the person managing the list at aroid-l-owner@www.gizmoworks.com When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Aroid -L digest..." Today's Topics: 1. Re: Steve Lucas (Ferenc Le ngyel) 2. Re: Steve Lucas (brian lee) 3. Re: Unidentified plant ( Ken Mosher) 4. Re: Steve Lucas (anabaena@london.com) 5. Re: lotus effect with Colocasia fallax (Theodore Held) 6. Re: lotus effect with Colocasia fallax (Genevi?ve Ferry) 7. Re: lotus effect with Colocasia fallax (Genevi?ve Ferry) ----------------------------------------- ----------------------------- Message: 1 Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 09:4 6:35 +0100 From: Ferenc Lengyel Subject: Re: [ Aroid-l] Steve Lucas To: Discussion of aroids Message-ID: Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" I am shoc ked too. Though I am a lurker on this list (and on his exotic plants foru m), I always enjoyed reading his posts and respected his efforts to spre ad the scientific nomenclature and information through his website and ma ny other forums. It is the first time when the death of someone who I hav en't known determines my mood in my offline life. Ferenc -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: ht tp://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/private/aroid-l/attachments/20110115/3ed1de fa/attachment.htm ------------------------------ Message: 2 Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 12:15:45 -0800 (PST) From: brian lee Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Steve Lucas To: Discussion of aroids Message-ID: <349893.76819.qm@web62307.mail.re1 ..yahoo.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Dear Beth, Aloha. Could you inform the other forums you post online? UBC F orums, Araceae, etc? Photopro is known to many people online....I do not know all the forums, but, I know you like to post on a few. Aloh a, Leland ________________________________ From: Elizabet h Campbell To:aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.com Sent: Fri, January 14, 2011 1:29:07 PM Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Steve Lu cas Wow, I'm floored. Steve was such a tough, stubborn cookie that I think we all figured he'd be around forever. He's the reason I even got interested in aroids and joined the IAS. He will be sorely missed h ere. Jude - I've got what I think is a new species of Anthurium, and o ne that Steve really liked to boot. If I can get a confirmation on its lack of description, I'll be naming it for him. I'll try to get seeds a s well next time I'm up where it grows, and if they're viable, I'll s end them on. Beth ____________________________________________________ ___________ Get the Free email that has everyone talking at http://www.ma il2world.com Unlimited Email Storage ? POP3 ? Calendar ? SMS ? Translator ? Much More! -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailma n/private/aroid-l/attachments/20110115/ef7b95a4/attachment.htm --- --------------------------- Message: 3 Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 23:12: 12 -0500 From: Ken Mosher Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Unidentified plant To: Discussion of aroids Message-ID: <4D32701C.4060906@spatulacity.com> Content-Type: text/plai n; charset="iso-8859-1" That plant looks exactly like one of my Agav es, but the bloody tag has gone missing so I can't give you a species na me. -Ken On 1/14/2011 3:16 PM, santoury@aol.com wrote: > Guys, > > On a completely different note, I'm wondering if somebody can identify > this newly acquired succulent - possibly a Dasylirion of some kind? > > Jude -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachmen t was scrubbed... URL: http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/private/aroid -l/attachments/20110115/2502543f/attachment.htm ------------------ ------------ Message: 4 Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 15:55:21 -0500 From : anabaena@london.com Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Steve Lucas To: aroid-l@ww w.gizmoworks.com Message-ID: <8CD83D6D310CC9F-11C0-4DE0C@web-mmc-m01.syso ps.aol.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" I rece ived this news late, having just returned from a week away/ offline. I am very sad to hear this. Unfortunately I have never had the pleasure of me eting Steve in person, but have had many personal correspondences with h im. He was such a warm and welcoming person. This is a big loss to the s ociety. My thoughts are with his family. What a shock. Anna Ha igh -------------- next part -------------- An HTML atta chment was scrubbed... URL: http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/private/ aroid-l/attachments/20110116/6d2848af/attachment.htm ------------- ----------------- Message: 5 Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:09:12 -0500 From: Theodore Held Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] lotus effect with Colocasia fallax To: Discussion of aroids Message-ID: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859 -1 David, I have no idea whether or not individual Pistia hairs a re coated with some form of wax or whether the wetting by water of an ind ividual hair is simply poor enough to provide a bridge for the droplet su rface over to the next surface hair, which bridging prevents wicking of t he water down into the hairy structure. This would be a good researc h topic: Dry some Pistia leaves and see what is extracted (meaning dissol ved by some liquid, ordinarily followed by gentle drying to investigate t he residual - Steve Lucas was right to insist on technical terms being de fined) by solvent (hexane or toluene would be good solvent candidates for wax) and if it is indeed a waxy substance. If no one has done this I'll do it myself and report back to this forum. Another thing that might be of interest to aroiders is that the net result of Pistia hydrophobici ty (which merely means its reluctance to be wetted by water, typically ob served as a tendency for water on a hydrophobic surface to "bead up" into discrete droplets) is the extreme buoyancy of the species. Try to submer ge one of these plants and it's almost like you are trying to submerge an air bubble. It is curious to me how insubstantial a Pistia leaf is. It l ooks big, but when compacted and dried there is almost nothing left. Much of the apparent volume is simply air. Ted Held Detroit. On T hu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:53 AM, david br?derbauer wrote: > Hi Ted, > > Pistia is in fact a very beautiful example for a water-repellent surface. It > has to be kept in mind - as you mention - that it generates this > superhydrophobic effect with hairs (not with pap illate cells like in Nelumbo > or Colocasia) that are covered with wax. S o, the term 'lotus-effect' > describes the syndrom of superhydrophobicity (which means that the contact > angle of a water droplet is at least 150 ?), but there are different > structures within the Araceae and other pla nt families, that produce this > effect. > > David Broederbauer > >> Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:04:17 -0500 >> From: oppenhauser2001@gmai l.com >> To: aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.com >> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] lotus effect with Colocasia fallax >> >> Genevi?ve, >> >> The lotus effe ct is quite common in my experience. It has been getting >> a lot of atte ntion in the popular press lately and there are a number >> of academic s tudies of the phenomenon using nano materials. A Google >> search will tu rn up many hits. >> >> One of the best displays can be seen on the humb le aroid Pistia. >> Leaves of Pistia will support quite a large water dro plet with no >> wetting of the leaf surface that supports the hairs. >> >> Ted Held. >> Detroit >> >> 2011/1/11 Genevi?ve Ferry : >> > Dear aroiders , >> > >> > Today, three students ca me looking leaves Colocasia fallax to understand >> > the >> > phenomen on of superhydrobicity (lotus effect). >> > Do you have information on th is phenomenon? >> > (Experience, etc. ....) >> > >> > Thank you for y our help. >> > >> > Best wishes , >> > >> > Genevi?ve Ferry >> > _______________________________________________ >> > Aroid-L mailing list >> > Aroid-L@www.gizmoworks.com >> > http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman /listinfo/aroid-l >> > >> > >> ______________________________________ _________ >> Aroid-L mailing list >> Aroid-L@www.gizmoworks.com >> ht tp://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/listinfo/aroid-l > > __________________ _____________________________ > Aroid-L mailing list > Aroid-L@www.gizm oworks.com > http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/listinfo/aroid-l > > ------------------------------ Message: 6 Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:20:00 +0100 From: Genevi?ve Ferry Subje ct: Re: [Aroid-l] lotus effect with Colocasia fallax To: "Discussion of a roids" Message-ID: <3C3A55452F054F3B89D21CD9 4454369F@GenevievePC> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset ="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original Dear Theodore, Many thanks for your help . The students have find many things with google . Best regards Genevi?ve -----Message d'origine----- From: Theodore Held Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:04 PM To: Discussion of aroids Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] lotus effect with Colocasia fallax Genevi?ve, The lotus effect is quite common in my experience. It ha s been getting a lot of attention in the popular press lately and there a re a number of academic studies of the phenomenon using nano materials. A Google search will turn up many hits. One of the best displays can be seen on the humble aroid Pistia. Leaves of Pistia will support quite a large water droplet with no wetting of the leaf surface that supports th e hairs. Ted Held. Detroit 2011/1/11 Genevi?ve Ferry : > Dear aroiders , > > Today, three students came lookin g leaves Colocasia fallax to understand > the > phenomenon of superhyd robicity (lotus effect). > Do you have information on this phenomenon? > (Experience, etc. ....) > > Thank you for your help. > > Best wis hes , > > Genevi?ve Ferry > _________________________________________ ______ > Aroid-L mailing list > Aroid-L@www.gizmoworks.com > http://w ww.gizmoworks.com/mailman/listinfo/aroid-l > > ______________________ _________________________ Aroid-L mailing list Aroid-L@www.gizmoworks.c om http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/listinfo/aroid-l ------- ----------------------- Message: 7 Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 06:35:59 + 0100 From: Genevi?ve Ferry Subject: Re: [Aroid-l ] lotus effect with Colocasia fallax To: "Discussion of aroids" Message-ID: <19B6762C78F84C6FBF88235373533A89@Genevie vePC> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Dear David , Many thanks for your help . Genevi?ve From: david br?derbauer Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:53 PM To: aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.co m Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] lotus effect with Colocasia fallax Hi Ted, Pistia is in fact a very beautiful example for a water-repellent surf ace. It has to be kept in mind - as you mention - that it generates this superhydrophobic effect with hairs (not with papillate cells like in Ne lumbo or Colocasia) that are covered with wax. So, the term 'lotus-effec t' describes the syndrom of superhydrophobicity (which means that the co ntact angle of a water droplet is at least 150?), but there are differen t structures within the Araceae and other plant families, that produce t his effect. David Broederbauer > Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:04:17 -0500 > From: oppenhauser2001@gmail.com > To: aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.co m > Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] lotus effect with Colocasia fallax > > Ge nevi?ve, > > The lotus effect is quite common in my experience. It has been getting > a lot of attention in the popular press lately and there are a number > of academic studies of the phenomenon using nano materials .. A Google > search will turn up many hits. > > One of the best disp lays can be seen on the humble aroid Pistia. > Leaves of Pistia will supp ort quite a large water droplet with no > wetting of the leaf surface tha t supports the hairs. > > Ted Held. > Detroit > > 2011/1/11 Gen evi?ve Ferry : > > Dear aroiders , > > > > Toda y, three students came looking leaves Colocasia fallax to understand the > > phenomenon of superhydrobicity (lotus effect). > > Do you have inform ation on this phenomenon? > > (Experience, etc. ....) > > > > Thank y ou for your help. > > > > Best wishes , > > > > Genevi?ve Ferry > > _______________________________________________ > > Aroid-L mailing li st > > Aroid-L@www.gizmoworks.com > > http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman /listinfo/aroid-l > > > > > _________________________________________ ______ > Aroid-L mailing list > Aroid-L@www.gizmoworks.com > http://w ww.gizmoworks.com/mailman/listinfo/aroid-l --------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------- _____________ __________________________________ Aroid-L mailing list Aroid-L@www.giz moworks.com http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/listinfo/aroid-l -------- ------ next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/private/aroid-l/attachments/20110118/ ae7393e6/attachment.htm ------------------------------ ______ _________________________________________ Aroid-L mailing list Aroid-L@ www.gizmoworks.com http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/listinfo/aroid-l End of Aroid-L Digest, Vol 78, Issue 14 *************************** ************
--0-1018553389-1295370881=:17665
"
href="mailto:aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.com">aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.com
< br>>> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] lotus effect with Colocasia fallax
&g t;>
>> Genevi?ve,
>>
>> The lotus effect is q uite common in my experience. It has been getting
>> a lot of atte ntion in the popular press lately and there are a number
>> of aca demic studies of the phenomenon using nano materials. A Google
>> search will turn up many hits.
>>
>> One of the best disp lays can be seen on the humble aroid Pistia.
>> Leaves of Pistia w ill support quite a large water droplet with no
>> wetting of the leaf surface that supports the hairs.
>>
>> Ted Held.
>> Detroit
>>
>> 2011/1/11 Genevi?ve Ferry <jpcferry2@wanadoo.fr>:
>> > Dear aroiders
>> >
HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.