IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Arum purpureospathum x Arum palaestinum seeds...Possibly?
From: "PlantsAndStuff.com" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2013.06.19 at 17:36:23(22817)
I have an Arum purpureospathum and an Arum palaestinum. The palaestinum flowered first, then the purpureospathum. The palaestinum inflorescence died with out fruit but the purpureospathum produced a berry custer. I live in northern California and am almost 100% certain there are none of these any where close to me. The purpureospathum must have been pollinated by a fly that visited the palaestinum and the visited it when it opened a couple days later. They are both outside so its a chance encounter I think. My first question is, is this possible? I would think that these plants can cross pollinate. My second question is how do I preserve these seeds or when/ how do I grow them? I know nothing about growing aroids from seed. Im not sure
I even have the patience or the talent to wait/take care of them for the years required to get them to maturity so I may just give these seeds away if I deem it something I dont wish and or cant do. Some of the berries are starting to shrivel, all of them are orange but upon opening one of the shriveled berries, there appears to be a nice healthy seed inside. So I dont even know if I need to leave them in the berry like you do with amorphs the seed looks completly different from an amorph seed though. Im thinking it can be removed from the berry. And how do I preserve the seeds if I decide I cant start growing them this year and how long will they stay viable.

Erin

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.