IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

December Newsletter
From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2014.12.14 at 06:27:07(23179)
I am *mildly* surprised that has been no feedback - positive or negative - on the December Newsletter. At 31 pages it is longer than many of the early issues of Aroideana.

--001a11c2378a0b5b01050a2737de--
--==============e29407364618808786==

HTML

+More

From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter at xs4all.nl> on 2014.12.15 at 05:52:23(23184)
Part of that being the result of a very strange way in which the pictures are spread all over the place in the pdf…………..

Van: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] Namens Peter Boyce
Verzonden: zondag 14 december 2014 7:27
Aan: Discussion of aroids
Onderwerp: [Aroid-l] December Newsletter

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2014.12.15 at 15:03:15(23189)
Good morning!

Just back from a long weekend, and read the newsletter. It is really impressive. It amazes me, Peter. It seems like every time you go out side you find new species. Thank you for sharing this glimpse into our world's biodiversity.

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy at sbcglobal.net> on 2014.12.15 at 17:18:44(23190)
Peter,

Since you asked:

PRO - The extensive amount of color photography was wonderful and one can
really obtain an understanding of the plants being described.

PRO - The disclosure of the annual meeting business, including financial statements and minutes, may have been done in the past, but they are surely open in the Newsletter, which can only be good.

CON - The extensive amount of publishing credits following the articles on Wong Sin Yeng and Li Heng deract not only from the article, but from the overall newsletter. While some of the publications listed look rather interesting, one wonders where they have been and why they are not available?

My opinion only.

David Leedy

HTML

+More

From: Albert Huntington <amasakih at gmail.com> on 2014.12.15 at 21:05:45(23191)
Folks,

Just wanted to note re: Wilbert's issues with the PDF that it is a problem of which we are aware, but which has not yielded to any easy solutions.

The official format of the e-newsletter is online as an HTML web page, and the PDF version of it was tacked on by popular request, but is generated simply by my pressing "print to pdf" on a web browser. The results are less than optimal, but reflect a more fundamental problem, which is that pagination of long photo-intensive articles like these is a lot of work, and part of the removal of limitations on content which accompanied our move to a wholly electronic newsletter is based on my not having to lay out some unwieldy number of pictures for each issue to match page boundaries.

The more astute among you will no doubt have noted that the PDF is not simply poorly laid out, but apparently actively hostile ... to which I can only say that I don't have the bandwidth right now to debug issues with browser print-rendering engines.

Having said that, if anyone would like to volunteer to tackle this problem in a more aesthetically pleasing manner, or for that matter to take over the layout task entirely, I'm all for more people being involved in the process.

--Albert

HTML

+More

From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2014.12.16 at 01:42:48(23192)
Hi Christopher,

We estimate that for Borneo about 60% of the terrestrial and rheophytic aroids remain undescribed.

Peter

HTML

+More

From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2014.12.16 at 07:06:57(23193)
David,

I was not party to the inclusion of the publication lists but I welcome them being offered in the Newsletter, if nothing else the inclusion of them for Li Heng - surely one of the oldest still active professional aroiders, and Sin yeng, one of the most recent recruits to the scientific ranks for the family, provides an elegant comparison.

For the record Wong's publications are ALL available, free to download in PDF format, from the IAS Website - http://www.aroid.org/gallery/wong/ - this information of availability has been posted on several occasions on Aroid-l and in FB

Peter

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2014.12.16 at 14:31:29(23194)
That is a very impressive estimate. We have similar situations in my Crustacea. It is estimated that 70% of the copepods from temporary wetlands in North America, west of the Continental Divide are undescribed. A buddy of mine worked on wood boring beetles in the family Cerambycidae. He got to the point where he was finding so many new species from the Neotropics, that all he was doing was getting them arranged and in order so that who ever came after him could get them described. He had more than 1,000 new species by the time he passed.

Truly, we are still in the age of discovery.

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2014.12.21 at 05:07:07(23195)
Dear David and Peter:

It was my decision to add the list of publications and it was intended to exhibit why both individuals were worthy recipients of the rewards they received. Most of our readers would not have any idea about what they had published but now, for those who are interested, they do. As you said Pete, anyone interested n a particular title need only to ask about where to find it. Thanks for pointing to the link for Sin Yeng’s bountiful productions.

David, also we have no limitations on the length of newsletter articles since they cost us essentially nothing. We would welcome your contributions too.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy at sbcglobal.net> on 2014.12.21 at 21:23:39(23198)
Thank you Peter and Tom, I feel properly chastised and probably should have kept my mouth shut when Peter ask for comments on the Newsletter.

Peter, I know that you do everything you can to make all Aroid publications available and your efforts are very much appreciated by me and by many.

Both of you guys, as well as some others, could fill a complete book with your publication credits. So when I see page after page with publication credits, I question their necessity. However, on rereading the article, I believe that my question is incorrect with respect to Li Heng as it does help to more accurately describe her contributions to the Aroid Plant Family.

The article about Li Heng is excellent. Is there somewhere, online or otherwise, that I can obtain the 2010 publication of the Fora of China?

My opinion regarding the article on (not being sure what a poster is) Sin Yeng’s award for the best poster at the Hanoi Conference remains. While this is most probably worthy of an article in the Newsletter, I am not sure that it surpasses the awards given out at the annual meeting of the IAS, for which much less information is given about the winner.

The article continues as to her teaching regimen and her various scientific projects, both past and present, including the fact that she has over 100 publications to her credit. This certainly establishes her bonafides. However, it appears to me that to list each of her publications is redundant.

Tom, as you know I authored an article on Growing Arum in Fort Worth, which I thought would be a newsletter article, but Eric Burch decided to use it in "Aroideana." I am currently working on an article for the Newsletter on my missionary efforts in Texas, which may or may not be publication worthy. I recently "met" a fellow on line, who has a marvelous collection of Gonatopus bovinii. I am trying to get him to write an article on his experiences. So I do try!!!

Again, this is all just my opinion and probably not worth very much, but Peter ask for it.

David Leedy

HTML

+More

From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy at sbcglobal.net> on 2014.12.22 at 03:15:18(23200)
Correction to my previous post, Derek Burch, not Eric Burch, is the editor of Aroideana.

On Sunday, December 21, 2014 3:23 PM, DAVID LEEDY wrote:

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2014.12.23 at 20:10:07(23207)
Dear David:

We certainly appreciate your contributions and even your complaints. The Newsletter is what we make it. We are willing to include material from anyone and encourage everyone to contribute whatever they can. Derek obviously liked your article and thought it should go in the more prestigious Journal Aroideana rather than the Newsletter so you should be proud. That does not prevent you from continuing to try to get one of your very fine articles in the Newsletter. It is true that the awards given at the show deserved more coverage and certainly if someone would write an article about such awards we will certainly publish it.

Pat and I enjoyed hearing from you and Dianne this Christmas. Thank you very much.

I hope that Santa Clause brings you something this year!

Tom

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.