IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

aroid identification - Spathiphyllum
From: "PlantsAndStuff.com" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2015.05.02 at 17:33:35(23265)

Can anyone tell me which spp of Spathiphyllum this is? See attached image

Stay green. Please consider the environment before printing this email

HTML

+More

From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2015.05.03 at 03:52:30(23266)
Despite some superficial similarity in the inflorescences, and in particular the manner in which the fruits / seeds are shed, Cyclanthaceae are very far from the aroids - in the Order Pandanales (which is sister to Dioscoreales).

On 3 May 2015 at 01:33, PlantsAndStuff.com wrote:

Can anyone tell me which spp of Spathiphyllum this is? See attached image

Stay green. Please consider the environment before printing this email

HTML

+More

From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2015.05.03 at 03:53:03(23267)

On 3 May 2015 at 11:52, Peter Boyce wrote:

Despite some superficial similarity in the inflorescences, and in particular the manner in which the fruits / seeds are shed, Cyclanthaceae are very far from the aroids - in the Order Pandanales (which is sister to Dioscoreales).

HTML

+More

From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2015.05.03 at 03:57:09(23268)
To quote the APG website - my italics: The old Spadiciflorae included those taxa with a spadix and often also a spathe. Families included, Pandanaceae, Cyclanthaceae, Araceae and Arecaceae, are now placed in three immediately unrelated orders, Pandanales, Alismatales and Arecales. Engler (1892) linked Pandanaceae, Arecaceae and Cyclanthaceae.

ps Aroids are in Alismatales; Arecales is the order that includes the Palms.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.