IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Regarding Cultivars
From: Albert Huntington <amasakih at gmail.com> on 2016.09.09 at 17:33:05(23676)
The IAS has long been assigned as the cultivar registrar for most Aroids, and has for just about as long attempted to get a registry off the ground. So far it has been an uphill battle, both from an administrative point of view and a participatory point of view.

This is about to change.

As a result of popular demand ( well, Miguel Pasqual asked for something for Philodendrons at least ), the IAS is pleased to present the Aroid Cultivar Wiki at http://www.aroid.org/cvwiki/

The idea is to make this a more collaborative effort - growers, or anyone, really, can submit cultivar names and add as much information as they happen to have on the cultivars, with the eventual goal of publishing any unpublished cultivar names and also recording information on cultivars before it is lost in the mists of time.

I would ask all members to have a look, especially folks like Brian Williams and LariAnn Garner who are so active in creating new plants for us to enjoy. Official registration is easy - we just need the name though we would appreciate any additional information you have available - and you can get exposure for your business by listing yourself as the originator of a cultivar.

As this is a young project in progress, please do not hesitate to let me know what is working and what is not, and what direction you'd like to see it headed. And email me for an account if you happen to have a little time to flesh out the listings.

--Albert

HTML

+More

From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2016.09.12 at 04:31:50(23677)
Is there a procedure in place for investigating and dealing with suspected synonyms?

Jason Hernandez

HTML

+More

From: MARC GIBERNAU <gibernau at univ-corse.fr> on 2016.09.12 at 06:48:14(23678)
Great Albert,

You should write an article about it ; may be illustrated by one cultivar example to show that way to do it.

Best

Marc

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2016.09.13 at 00:21:30(23679)
Dear Albert: While I don’t deal much with cultivars I am willing to do whatever is necessary to help, perhaps by housing vouchers, editing descriptions, etc. I agree that is high time we took on this responsibility that we asked to do and did not do!

Tom

HTML

+More

From: Albert Huntington <amasakih at gmail.com> on 2016.09.14 at 17:24:26(23683)
Jason, Tom & Marc,

Thanks for your interest and responses.

There is no specific procedure as such for dealing with suspected synonyms, or for much else, really. Just a starting point of boilerplate showing the sort of information that needs to go into a full description. I'd suggest that noting the suspected synonym in the wiki entry for the cultivar would be a great place to start. There is room for free-form and somewhat speculative information here, in my opinion, as long as it is marked as such. One of the problems with the earlier methods has been that few people with knowledge of the cultivars wanted to contribute because it seemed like there were too many rules or too much information was needed.

This is not an attempt to clarify the cultivar situation by formalizing description, though that definitely has its place as is hinted at by the ICNCP. This is more of an attempt to clarify the situation by gathering all the information available in one place, even if it's not necessarily well-sourced, which is what a wiki does best. The problem we have been having so far is not that the information is poorly controlled, it's that nobody is participating in the gathering of the information.

There is a basic how-to on the front page of the wiki, and we will certainly be advertising this more broadly as time and space allows.

--Albert

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.