IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Philodendron squamiferum bristles?
From: Zach DuFran <zdufran at gmail.com> on 2018.08.14 at 18:47:35(23953)
Jude,

Ordinarily the pubescens are pretty long and prominent. The photos you've seen online are not tricks of photography. There is a plant called Philodendron Florida (possible hybrid of P. squamiferum) which has a similar leaf shape to Philodendron squamiferum and has rough petioles. Do you have photos of your plants in question?

Zach

HTML

+More

From: Zach DuFran <zdufran at gmail.com> on 2018.08.14 at 22:01:54(23967)
Jude,

That looks like a good match for Florida Beauty, which Steve Lucas discussed on his webpage:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron_Florida_Beauty_%20pc.html

Zach

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.14 at 22:07:52(23968)
Zach,

Thank you for that. I also looked at his photo of P. squamiferum which looks exactly the same, without the variegation. (His photo shows the same sandpapery texture, versus hairs.) Hmmmm....

HTML

+More

From: "Ertelt, Jonathan B" <jonathan.ertelt at Vanderbilt.Edu> on 2018.08.14 at 22:19:28(23969)
Jude -

if you scroll down on Steve’s page on P. squamiferum, his description of the petiole is pretty precise, and matches very well with two images a bit further down the page on the right side. Though there may be some variation on the length of these “hairs,” my
sense from seeing this species numerous times is that they’re most always present as hairs rather than anything I would describe as nubs or sandpaper. Some pictures might capture this better than others, but imho they’re a pretty distinctive character of this
species – not that other species don’t have similar pubescence on the petioles, but P. squamiferum most always does have it. Good Growing!

Jonathan

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.14 at 19:01:24(23973)

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your input! Florida / Florida Beauty doesn't have red petioles that I have seen. I'm including a couple pics - The bigger one is my pet, and the smaller one you can see the coloration much better. And last but not least, I got two variegated ones. Hope we can clear this up. Thanks! Jude

HTML

+More

From: Zach DuFran <zdufran at gmail.com> on 2018.08.15 at 02:36:17(23975)
Jude,

I don’t see any photos on Steve’s site of a squamiferum with sandpapery petioles. Which photo are you referring to?

Zach

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.15 at 02:47:47(23978)
Hi Zach,

In the link - showing the variegated Florida Beauty, if you scroll down to a set of several pictures with P. squamiferum in the upper left corner - that's the one I'm referring to. Those look like red petioles, with a more sandpapery texture?

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.