IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Philo cordatum vs hederaceum? And P. scandens ?
From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2019.09.18 at 18:36:43(24237)
Could somebody clarify these two for me?

I see, for example, "Brasil" being offered under both names. Are they

one and the same?

Another confusing one to me is Philo. hederaceum / scandens 'micans.'

Are P. scandens, hederaceum, and cordatum the same? If not, how do I determine which cultivars go with which species?

Thank you!

Jude

--

The Silent Seed

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2019.09.18 at 20:19:26(24238)
Dear Jude: Philodendron hederaceum is the new name for plants previously P. scandens and P. micans but not P. cordatum. Curiously the name P. hederaceum was an old name previously erroneously
used for what we now call P. jacquinii Schott, a strange plant in a group all its own.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2019.09.18 at 20:38:06(24239)
Thank you, very much, Tom. This is most helpful!

So, the plants called Brasil, Rio (Silver Stripe,) Gabby and so forth - are these P. hederaceum, or P. cordatum varieties? (Based on leaf size and shape, I'm guessing P. hederaceum?)

Many thanks, Jude

HTML

+More

From: Russ <bluesea14808 at yahoo.com> on 2019.09.22 at 15:52:58(24240)
Jude, all those cultivars you mentioned are hederaceum, not cordatum, which is a different species entirely. If I'm not mistaken, cordatum is the formal species name given to the old P. sp. 'Angra Dos Reis'.
Russ

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2019.09.22 at 19:29:57(24241)
Thank you, Russ! Thanks for helping me make sure I have my names straight!

Best, Jude

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:03 PM Russ wrote:

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.