IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [aroid-l] Let the--. Mitch. and others.
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.07.28 at 09:10:50(11851)
>From: "Mitch ."
>Reply-To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Let the buyers beware.
>Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:42:27 -0400
>

Dear All,
Obviously there are some GREAT deals and VERY honest dealers on auction sites, I know many. Some Amorphophallus sps., seeds, etc. are available nowhere else, go for them. The 'buyer beware' posting was a caution against OBVIOUS (to most of us) rip-off artists, a caution to the new-comers to look more closely, and in a manner of speaking to "sort the wheat from the chaff" as it were. For those who fail to do so, learn to like the taste of chaff is all I say.
The auction at Fairchild where over $1,000.00 was paid for a Philodendron can NOT be compared to what I am discussing, as the Philo. sps. in question belongs to a species which exists in the wild consisting of a population of less than ten plants, and maybe twenty or so plants (most from cuttings from three plants collected in the 70`s). The proceeds from this auction also go as support to the IAS, the group that helps support ( I think!) this web site.
To contact a seller on the site I mentioned is not possible unless you register on that site as a customer, this I choose NOT to do, I do not work w/ auction houses, this is my choice.
Good luck all! For those who pay big bucks and end up with a Syngonium podophyllum or Epipremnum pinnatum, or a common Anthurium sp. from K-Mart instead of a 'rare Philodendron', take heart---all of these are rare in Alaska or Russia.
Good Growing.
Julius Boos

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.