IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[aroid-l] overwintering alocasias
From: Leslie Georgeson <skinnychick2 at yahoo.com> on 2004.08.16 at 19:23:25(11999)
Since this seems to be a topic quite a few people are interested in, just thought I'd share what I do. I lived in the northwest until about a year ago, and now I live in the HOT south where there is 0% humidity except during monsoons. I've never had to force any plants into dormancy. My solution is simple:

I installed a humidifier (Vornado 4 gallon output--about $60) in a small bedroom with a south-facing window, along with two fans and florescent lighting, then moved all the plants into this specially equipped "plant room." It doesn't cost that much to run the lights or the humidifier and the plants love it. The humidity never drops below 69% and the air is constantly circulated. The only problem I have is when they start growing into the ceiling. Occasionally I do get mites, but since I check the plants on a daily basis, the problem is always resolved ASAP and is never allowed to escalate to the point of destruction.

Just an idea...

How much do you love your plants?

Leslie

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.