IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?
From: RAYMOMATTLA at cs.com on 2004.11.25 at 18:55:15(12415)
This seems to be a VERY hardy plant for me, and I would expect it to be the most hardy of the Colocasia? I usually leave mine in the ground during the winter but always dig up a few bulbs just in case. Last year I accidentally left a bulb uncovered and exposed in one of the beds and didnt notice it until spring. Suprisingly, along with all of the others that normally come back like gangbusters...it survived. Our lowest temp recorded at my house last winter was 20F. While it was a relatively dry and mild winter, it still suprised me that the bulb took ice, snow and numerous deep freezes and still managed to stay alive. I am in the Upstate area of South Carolina, borderline 7b-8a, but would expect this plant to be hardy in much colder regions, possibly 6a?
Thanks, happy holidays,
Michael Mattlage
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.